MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Zach Davis Trying to Return

View Single Post

Old 05-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sicilian_Esq
Lightweight

Sicilian_Esq Is True Champion Of KnowledgeSicilian_Esq Is True Champion Of KnowledgeSicilian_Esq Is True Champion Of KnowledgeSicilian_Esq Is True Champion Of KnowledgeSicilian_Esq Is True Champion Of KnowledgeSicilian_Esq Is True Champion Of KnowledgeSicilian_Esq Is True Champion Of KnowledgeSicilian_Esq Is True Champion Of KnowledgeSicilian_Esq Is True Champion Of KnowledgeSicilian_Esq Is True Champion Of KnowledgeSicilian_Esq Is True Champion Of Knowledge
Zach Davis Trying to Return

http://mmajunkie.com/news/23756/afte...retirement.mma

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAJunkie
As seen in Wednesday's new episode, Davis lost his fight to Chuck O'Neil in the quarterfinal round of the reality-show tournament.

But a far more devastating blow was dealt to his career when a UFC doctor discovered tears in both his retinas after the bout and opted to perform immediate corrective surgery. Afterward, the doctor said he'd never fight again.

Now months after the show's filming, Davis today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the UFC wanted him to appear on the show's finale, which takes place June 4 in Las Vegas. But an approval to fight from his personal doctor in Maryland could not get him clearance from the UFC.

"The UFC's doctor kind of outranked my doctor," Davis said.

The 26-year-old now said he needs a second doctor to clear him before the promotion will consider reversing its decision.

"I'm not out of the company," Davis said. "They'll still find a spot for me. But until that happens, I can't (fight). It's looking like I can't. The doctor's pretty adamant."

It's actually the second time Davis has torn his retina. The fighter said he sustained the injury two years ago fighting at a regional event and was told to retire after having it fixed. But he was cleared to fight once again, and he resumed his career.

"So I kind of felt like I was on borrowed time," Davis said.
1) I want an "Ask the Doc" article on MMAJunkie about this to see the pros and cons.

2) I admire his spunk, but if he hasn't been training, I think he'd be stepping into a mauling at the season finale'. No, the article doesn't say he's been inactive, but I would imagine he's been taking it easy since TUF.

It's an interesting question w/ a lot to consider on both sides of this coin. Wish him the best, no matter which he chooses.
Sicilian_Esq is offline   Reply With Quote