DREAM.17: Japan GP Final
Date: Jul 16, 2011
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Venue: Ariake Coliseum
* Champ Gegard Mousasi vs. Hiroshi Izumi (for light-heavyweight title)
* Champ Hiroyuki Takaya vs. Kazuyuki Miyata (for featherweight title)
* Champ Marius Zaromskis vs. Eiji Ishikawa (welterweight non-title fight)
* Masakazu Imanari vs. Hideo Tokoro (Japan bantamweight-tourney finale)
* Keisuke Fujiwara vs. Kenji Osawa (Japan bantamweight-tourney third-place fight)
* Tatsuya Mizuno vs. Trevor Prangley
* Drew Fickett vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
* Bruno Carvalho vs. Eiji Mitsuoka
The real 'DREAM 17' has five fights announced for July:
No, this most recent event was not Dream 17. It was Dream: Fight For Japan. Dream 17 will take place on July 16th in the Ariake Coliseum in Tokyo, and five bouts have already been announced for the event. Two are title fights, and one is the finals of the bantamweight grand prix. For those of you that are waiting until June 3rd to watch Dream: FFJ on HDNet - this is an official spoiler alert.
Sherdog reports that Dream light heavyweight champion and Strikeforce veteran Gegard Mousasi will put his title on the line against Olympic judo standout Hiroshi Izumi, while featherweight kingpin Hiroyuki Takaya will square off with Kazuyuki Miyata. In addition, Tatsuya "Crusher" Kawajiri will return to Dream after his Strikeforce loss to Gilbert Melendez, where he will take on one-time UFC veteran Willamy "Chiquerim" Friere. Chiquerim was the first of many rumored opponents for Shinya Aoki at Fight For Japan, but couldn't compete due to visa issues. They appear to be cleared up and he will instead meet Kawajiri.
Finally (and this is where the spoiler alert comes in), the Japanese bantamweight grand prix winner will be decided when Hideo Tokoro meets DEEP BW champ Mazakazu Imanari in the finals. The third place bout between Atsushi Yamamoto and Kenji Osawa will also take place on July 16th. Both finalists and the third place winner will advance to the world BWGP later this year in Dream.