MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Just want to be an Amateur MMA fighter and see where things go

View Single Post

Old 05-31-2011, 05:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
ashipsomewhere
MMA Fanatic

ashipsomewhere has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Just want to be an Amateur MMA fighter and see where things go

So I'm new to this forum but saw a lot of good advice in many posts.
Quick background is I used to wrestle and do track in high school. I'm going into senior in college and feel as though I only have 5 years left where my body can really be put to a competitive test and compete and I feel as though MMA is great.

I've always been competitive, I started lifting serious and and doing a lot of cardio. I also just recently joined a MMA gym that has a team, I've been training there for two weeks, and I've seen my stand up game and Jiu Jitsu game get a lot better. Obviously I'm not amazing, but I learn fast.

So my real question is for a 5 foot 7, 138lb kid who's 21 how realistic is it to give MMA a shot to be a amateur just because I want the competition and enjoy the training and practices. Like even though I'm not on my gyms team, (I haven't tried out yet, I feel as though I'm still very ill experienced), when I train though every day I diet right, and train about two times a day while fitting in my work schedule, but when I train all I think about is training harder than the guy that I hopefully have the shot to fight for my first fight so I don't lose. So recommendations for what I should do? Thanks in advance sorry if this is long or wrong forum.
ashipsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote