Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

And Tito fans come out of the closet.

5K views 67 replies 28 participants last post by  BobbyCooper 
#1 ·
Well it hasn't been 2 days since his win and it's amazing how many Tito fans have come out of their little holes. Have we all just forgot that this is the guy that called other fighters his bitch cried and made excuses after his loses dodged fights with guys like chuck and even called out fans To fight him after one of his losses. The hype doesn't change my opinion at all. To me Tito is the same disrespectful winey manipulative jack*** he has always Been.

I mean people were calling for this guys head and wanted him to be cut a week or so ago now he has one win and he's a good guy again. What's with all the d*** fair weather fans? If your a fan of his at least come out with it and support him all the time not just when he wins.

Tito needs to change big time and stay that way for a while before he gets off my s**t list. Hope he loses his next 2 fights one by KO the othe by tapp out.

#2 ·
Well alot of us old school fans remember when Tito was the face of the UFC and got them through the dark days of the sport. And with all the legends going down lately (Liddell, Couture, Wandy, Cro Cop, Nog, etc) its good to see one of the legends get a win over a one of these young bucks.

And plus Tito fans haven't had alot to celebrate about in the last 5 years so of course they are going to come out full force.

#18 ·
Well alot of us old school fans remember when Tito was the face of the UFC and got them through the dark days of the sport. And with all the legends going down lately (Liddell, Couture, Wandy, Cro Cop, Nog, etc) its good to see one of the legends get a win over a one of these young bucks.
This is why I was happy with Tito's win. I don't hate the guy, but i'm not really a fan either. It was mostly a nostalgia thing to be honest, a lot of people started watching around Tito's time as LHW champ and his feud with Chuck so the fact a lot of people were happy doesn't surprise me much.

He was also a HUGE underdog, and few game him any chance at all. I don't like Tito much, but I don't want him out of the UFC yet.

#5 ·
what do you wanna say, he proved a lot of people, me included, wrong last week end.

there's nothing wrong about being wrong and then, when you realize you misjudge someone, revisit what you were thinking.

Tito from last saturday was miles away from the Tito who got hated on, he was respectful, he wasn't really cocky or whatever, he seemed actually very nice, the nicest I've ever seen him since he first coached on TUF

he wasn't this cocky, full of himself, kid anymore and that was refreshing.

I know I appreciated to see the changed man, he was a cocky douchebag, saturday, he didn't seem to be that man anymore and that's probably why he got so much appreciation, because he behaved like an actually appreciable character, making a lot of people realize who he really was, under the "cocky douchebag" there was actually someone who seemed very nice.

give the man a chance, if Dana did, everyone can

#6 ·
I'm not a Tito fan nore will I ever be one.

He's burned far too many bridges to get any fanship out of me. His head is big enough as it is, people don't need to fill it with anymore delusions.

With that said, if someone is a fan of his, then that's that, not such a big deal.

#7 · (Edited)
I wouldn't necessarily call myself a fan but I was definitely happy to see Tito win. I think I started to like him just out of pity. Dude hasn't won a fight since 2006 and was on the brink of retirement. I'd feel bad not to root for him.

#9 ·
I'm a big fan of tito and his work...

Mostly when he hit the canvas twice against chuck xD

nah i got to admit i started feeling bad for the guy. just getting his ass beat down over and over and over. was still kinda hoping bader would put him on his back with his eyes wide.. meh.. i can always wait til his next fight :)

#11 ·
First and foremost it's the ultimate FIGHTING championship. not the ultimate nice respectable guy championship. I'm a fan of Tito because at his best he is an insanely exciting fighter, that is it. I have always been a fan of his fights and could not care less what he says as long as he isn't hurting innocent people. At what point do you grow up and stop whining about all the he said she said crap, watch the fights.

Same goes for Chael Sonnen, may be a raging douche but I don't care, why should I? It's mixed martial arts, not mixed martial social skills.

#12 ·
AF's S**t list.
1. Tito Ortiz
2. Michael Bisping
3. Nick Diaz
4. Nate Diaz
5. Josh Koscheck
That explains much :). I found myself always rooting for Tito, even though the excuses became comical. The thing about MMA fans is that they are fickle and mostly dwell in fantasy land. Nothing should surprise anyone when it comes to the new 'unstoppable force" or overnight can, such is the nature of the sport.

#15 ·
The first UFC fight I watched was with Tito Ortiz dominating so I have been pulling for him all these times to get a win, and to get one in that fashion he did against Bader, I screamed. I may not agree with everything he says, and some of the excuses like the cracked skull were just better not said but I hope he still has a bit of success before he actually retires.

#19 ·
He is one of the main reasons I watch this sport, so despite him being a complete ass I was pleased to see him get a W. It's not about being a secret fan, it's about enjoying the moment, for old time's sake. And it was against a guy with a weak skillset who somehow was the big favourite, I enjoyed watching that get turned on its head.

Is that ok, or do I need to ask for permission in future? :thumb02:

#20 ·
Its not a case of coming out of the closet its more a case of not wanting to be on the receiving end of the usual crap you get for supporting the likes of Tito or somebody like Bisping. As my post count shows i don't post all that often but i visit the site everyday. Huge Tito fan. You have to admit seeing him do the gravedigger thing harked back to days of old when he was smashing people all the time. Even after the fight when he was so pumped it felt good. I wore my punishment shirt around town today and I had a serious strut going on.

#22 ·
Thanks. I try my best not to fall into the pulls of fandom however, and try my best to keep some reality. Nick Diaz for instance is one of my favorite fighters, but I give GSP the edge in their up coming fight. Same goes with Tito, I consider myself a fan, but on the same token I know he was said things that would make a person face palm.

Reactions: americanfighter
#28 ·
I was very happy when Tito won. Why? It was a mix of nostalgia, surprize, the humbling of a young buck wrestler, and Rogan's screaming amping me up about the whole situation. I know Tito isn't a bright guy, and I wouldn't be his buddy in any life, but I certainly don't let that distract me from his participation in the sport.

Anyone really holding a grudge or wishing damage on a fighter is missing the point. I know that I'm not an asshole like that.

#30 ·
Ok, let me get this straight. Tito has a problem insulting and defaming other fighters, warranted or not, and here you are insulting and defaming a fighter.

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Tito helped build this sport. Without him it's a fair bet that the UFC would never have lasted. I don't care what the guy says or who he says it to, he's a fighter and talking up his game is how tickets are sold. Does he go over the line sometimes? Sure. Does he at times leave us scratching our heads trying to figure him out? Sure. Do any of the couch potato fighter wannabees on this forum have the right to trash a fighter for being himself? No.

I say let Tito be Tito. Let him enjoy what is arguably one of the most important victory's in his career and leave it at that.

#31 ·
Ok, let me get this straight. Tito has a problem insulting and defaming other fighters, warranted or not, and here you are insulting and defaming a fighter.

Hypocrisy at it's finest.
Your an idiot if you don't see the difference. This has to be trolling.

I am criticizing someone for their actions. He insults and puts down people who have done nothing to deserve it for no other reason than promotion of himself.

#32 ·
Not a Tito fan now or ever; I think he fought like he had his life on the line because he knew it was potently his last fight ever.
He seems to fight better when his back is against the wall, most of his fights are too cautious, he hasn’t looked dominant since 2001 and if he fought Bader again I would give him a 50/50 chance of losing that fight.

Who knows maybe his head is in the right place and his injuries are all healed, we’ll see, I don’t take ANYTHING that he says seriously.

Having said that he did at one time have some of the most effective ground and pound inside guard in the entire sport.

#35 · (Edited by Moderator)
Why do you care, AF? Sports fans have been like this since the beginning of time. Opinions flutter around with the wind. A single loss or win can lead the lemmings off completely different cliffs.

Personally... I like it like this! Its entertaining. Ive had my own opinion changed on a whim. Depending on my mood. Do I have bills to pay today? I had an awesome blowjob this morning? Maple Syrup or honey on my oats?? All these things, plus more, go towards shaping my gaseous opinion on a day to day basis.

Do I care? Feck no. I'm posting on a forum under an alias. I can be as ridiculous as I want!

#36 ·
Think the general cosensus is that most are happy to see an old school fighter get a win after almost five years. Can't even imagine how that feels plus with all the injuries, and personal issues he had to deal with. It's too bad his bad boy persona overshadows who he really is. When I saw that press conference of him tearing up...that showed who he really was. He's a man like all of us. Even Brock has changed for the better. Then there's some who are truly douches...ie: Chael...haha. Tito is a bit of a heel, but it doesn't bother me.

Am I fan...to an extent. He was one of the first exciting fighters next to Vitor Belfort. Gracie and Shamrock were koo, but it wasn't until Vitor, Tito, then Chuck who changed the landscape of the UFC. They showed that you can win by striking.

On that aspect once Tito is gone along with Wand, Mirco, Big Nog, Vitor, "the last of the Mohicans," everybody is gonna be reflecting back on the good ol days which you'll ONLY be able to view on DVD. SO...if you're a young punk kid who just got into MMA. Think before you write a post.

Not too many people realize they're the first generations whom we all got to see LIVE. It's like in the early era of boxing where people talk about Marciano, Dempsey, Archie Moore, Joe Jackson, Jake Lamotta, etc. For us we get to talk about the Iceman, Gracie, Shamrocks', Axer Murdere, The Spiders, Bad Boy, and many more. Man I love MMA!

Reactions: DonRifle
#41 ·
I was never a big fan of tito but i always respected him as a fighter as he is a pioneer. Anyone who has followed mma has to have a soft spot for tito. The man has bring though a lot over the years. As a real big mma fan it has been a sad 2 years as guys we watch that made us fans disappear. We had chuck,randy,crocop,wandy, and fedor to an extend. I was ready to add tito the that list but he proved me wrong. You can't blame fans for cheering for him. He is a symbolic piece in ufc history.

#43 ·
While I respect Tito as a fighter and what he has accomplished in MMA, he just bores me now and makes me cringe with all his excuses and drama.

Just because he's one of the 'old school' doesn't mean every MMA fan has to automatically love him.

I do admit when he dropped Bader I went 'HOLY SHIT' and found the fight very entertaining, but I'm not going to all of a sudden jump all over his nuts because he won a fight for the first time in 5 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.