MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Ben Askren Has a Message for Nate Marquardt: ‘Bring It’

View Single Post

Old 07-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Liddellianenko
KO artist

Liddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Wine View Post
I think Askren may be good enough to beat Nate down the track, but Nate has better Jitz, will be tough as hell to take down at WW and has far superior stand up. I would have to think Nate will be the favourite here and rightfully so. A fight I would love to see no doubt. That or Nate staying at middle and fighting Lombard.
So the same Nate that got badly owned by all wrestlers he's faced is suddenly a favorite against the most accomplished wrestler in MMA history?

Askren's wrestling creds make the likes of Sonnen, Koscheck, Hughes etc. look like dirt. He is an Olympic runner up in freestyle wrestling, which is a far broader and more competitive style than Greco. There is a Greco Olympic medalist in MMA (Lindland), but Askren is the only freestyler in MMA with creds that high. The next best thing are "almost" olympians like King Mo and Koscheck.

And I know Nate's a MW cutting down more and may be "bigger" supposedly (though in his past fights we've seen that is just bodybuider mass and not functional grappling power). But IMO even that doesn't matter when the fight is actually at 170. If he comes in bigger, he also comes in far more drained and tired. If he cuts muscle mass, then he's no longer bigger. Askren is as big a WW as is healthy anyway.

Personally I think Nate the mediocre Marquart would get owned quite badly and Askren would finally have a high level win under his belt. Which is why Nate will probably duck this fight even if it gets offered to him.
Liddellianenko is offline   Reply With Quote