Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

The Photography Thread

24K views 143 replies 23 participants last post by  IIGQ4U 
#1 ·
So I've been getting into Photography again lately, and have a new camera. Wondering if anyone else here enjoys it also? If so, this thread is to post your photo's and get comments, constructive critism, tips and advice :)

Here are a few recent ones.
[expand]

[/expand]

See less See more
Reactions: Dr Gonzo and limba
#4 ·
Thanks matey I will do. I'm using a Lumix G2 with a 14-42mm lens (I can't afford any others just yet so am making do). I really like the Micro 4 3 cameras. Quality of mid range DSLRs, quicker to focus and far lighter. All with changeable lenses as well. Just what I needed :D

Dude you take some good photos. The first one is particulary awesome. I mean, really good. I like the 4th one of your dog running too. Keep it up dude! You might have discovered a secret gift!
Thanks dude I appreciate it! I took a photography course when I was 17 and in college. I really enjoyed it but never took it further (i went through a drink and being a man whore stage). Really glad I've picked it back up again. I'm just experimenting right now, and reading as many books on it as I can. As soon as I read 'Understanding Exposure' my shots dramatically improved. Actually knowing what Apeture/Shutter Speed and ISO to use for each scenario is amazingly helpful.

On the downside, I haven't been able to get out and about for a few weeks! Next time I have a day free and the weathers lookin good I'll be out with my hound and camera for the day I think. I really want to try HDR and tiltshift photography. I know a few spots that are perfect for (HDR) landscape shots.

#7 · (Edited)
Yeah all of the photos are taken in Wales dude :) Majority within 10 miles of my house lol.

I photograph my dog more than anything else haha, he's always around so why not eh.
Few new ones. Will have some landscape HDRs up next week I hope.

I won't spam photos of my dog for a while now :p

#11 ·

I know I take far too many photos of my hound :D

Annnd a view of my home town, my first HDR attempt. Not amazing but I'm happy with it.

Tbh the weather has been so shit lately it's been near impossible to get out and about with my camera. Should be brightening up near the end of the week so I'll be taking a day to myself I think and go on an adventure :)

Also, if anyone is on DA - add me! http://huxen.deviantart.com/

#21 ·
Amazing work man, really inspirational. How did you get into MMA photography? And photography as a whole? Any tips for an amateur? :)

#22 ·
Here's one more...

It's not the greatest picture, but I had a lot of fun doing it. You see, it was a cold winter day (there was still snow on the ground at her feet), the sky was filled with smog, and the sun had just gone down - everything was gray and dreary.

Not to be deterred, I through a full CTO filter on my flash head, zoomed it out as far as it would go, and pointed it at a reflector, outside the field of view on the left, to bounce it back at her from the side. Voila, instant fall sunset. :thumb02:

There are few things I hate as much as bridal/wedding photography, but this was for a family member who was in a bind, so I bit the bullet and did it.

#23 ·
Yo Kry... where in Wales you at?

I almost moved to Pembrokeshire, but that fell through. I was gutted beyond belief. Your area looks more towards the north. Is that the case? I visit Conwy a lot, and the surrounding areas are some of the most beautiful on the planet.

Man, Wales rocks. I know many people who have never been cant really appreciate what I'm saying... but trust me... Wales is a truly spectacular country. I'm not going to give up till I end up there, in a straw bale house, on the side of a mountain. I dont care how long it takes. Its my mission in life.

Shame its full of Welsh people though... ;)

#24 · (Edited)
Yo Kry... where in Wales you at?

I almost moved to Pembrokeshire, but that fell through. I was gutted beyond belief. Your area looks more towards the north. Is that the case? I visit Conwy a lot, and the surrounding areas are some of the most beautiful on the planet. -

Man, Wales rocks. I know many people who have never been cant really appreciate what I'm saying... but trust me... Wales is a truly spectacular country. I'm not going to give up till I end up there, in a straw bale house, on the side of a mountain. I dont care how long it takes. Its my mission in life.

Shame its full of Welsh people though... ;)
I'm in Swansea dude, about 45 min drive from Pembrokeshire! Right next to the Gower (google!!) Haven't ventured up north in a long while.

Man I want the same, house wise anyways. I'd love an old farm house with no neighbours near the coast. I could happily live my life out then. Wales is starting to get recognition for it's beauty, The Gower was the first area in the UK to be designated an Area of Outstanding natural beauty, and Pembrokeshire coast has just come 3rd in the top 10 walks on the planet - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/a...onoured-alongside-Inca-Trail-Kilimanjaro.html

It is a shame about us living here though, we're a funny folk indeed! I sound Welsh to English people, and English to some Welsh people (the ones that dwell in the valleys that even I can barely understand) so I get alot of 'OH ARE EW AN ENGLISH?' ... 'Am I a what good sir?' .... 'EW POSH AS **** EW CHEEKY CANT'...

We're a charming people really...compared to the Scottish anyways :thumb02:

I really don't take advantage of living where I do. That will change from tomorrow... :D

#25 · (Edited)
So, I'm going to start doing more portraits soon and getting a website up and going to add my portfolio to. I need a watermark stamp to go on each and everyone of my images.

It needs to be big enough to stop images being stolen (or at least deter would be stealers as it'd be too much effort to remove) but subtle also.

So far I have...

Any comments would be appreciated.

#31 · (Edited)
Kry,

I just discovered this thread and your shots have improved greatly from page 1.

I discovered photography in October of 2011 and I am having a blast trying new things.

Here are a few of mine... I will post more in the coming days:

Unconditional Surrender San Diego and USS Midway by IIGQ4U, on Flickr

Red Wi, um, Water Glass by IIGQ4U, on Flickr

Sunset with boat by IIGQ4U, on Flickr

Oops, it's not 10:10! Movado Valor by IIGQ4U, on Flickr

Elias Outside High Key by IIGQ4U, on Flickr

Tranquility by IIGQ4U, on Flickr

Though the sun may set, we will never forget by IIGQ4U, on Flickr

Telescopic Cabrillo by IIGQ4U, on Flickr

#32 ·
Thanks man!

Tranquility is incredible. Some amazing shots man. You're a Pentax user? Nice, how're you liking the K-5?

The wine glass shot with the GF2 is great, what was the setup for that?

I need to branch out into more areas of photography, I'm too comfy and settled in canine photography now. I don't however, have a wide angle OR walk around lens atm. I'll be getting the 15-85 soon though so can use that as both until I get the 10-22.

Did you use any filters for the sunset shot or tranquility?

#33 ·
Thanks The K-5 was a great camera with superb ISO performance for a crop sensor and a killer user menu.

The wine glass setup was similar to this except I had a piece of white paper underneath the glass to provide a reflection:

I didn't use filters for any of the shots. The only filters I currently own are UV filters.

The sunset shot was a single exposure in which I underexposed the sky by about 1 stop.

In regard to tranquility, it was pitch black outside when I created this shot. It is a 5 exposure HDR merge and tweaked afterwards. I actually need to re-shoot this scene as I lost my original files.

Yes, you should definitely try to shoot different things! What camera do you have now?

BTW, I no longer own the Pentax. I moved to full frame Nikon.

#35 ·
Some nice photos in this thread. Always wanted to give photography a try. Anyone know of a decent but cheap camera. I don't even know the difference between any of them haha, currently just using my camera on my phone. Been thinking about getting a decent one for some time though.

#36 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.