MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - The official Rusty CJ5 build thread

View Single Post

Old 08-09-2011, 12:13 AM   #35 (permalink)
Rusty
Gone Hunting

Rusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings System
Rain let up and some pics got through

Spent a couple hours trying to flatten the oil filter adapter. With it being on top of the oil pump gears the clearance here greatly affects pressure.

The grooves are plenty visible in the adapter before lapping. I honestly thought sandpaper would suffice but apparently it leaves deposits in the aluminum and is a no no.

Before

So lapping compuound was in order. Lapping compound can be used in a variety of ways but it's basic use is the removal of metal. My lack of a large piece of glass in the house forced me to use alternate resources for finding a completely flat surface. Coffee table it is.

The trick is to add oil or more compound to increase lubricity and avoid the drying out of the surface. Figure eights are a good way too maintain a flat surface. I do regret spending so much time on this piece and only got it to serviceable condition. I should have just bought a new one and saved myself the time but it was good practice.

It looks much better and would be fine to run probably but I'm still debating on using it.

Stay tuned for updates

After scanning my post there are a number of grammatical errors that should be ignored. Too tired to edit...

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote