MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Does God Exist? Christian vs Atheist debate

View Single Post

Old 08-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Voiceless
Middleweight

Voiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By All
I don't want to interrupt the interesting debate (I'm not yet sure whether my English is sufficient to enter maybe later), so just a side note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C View Post
Back when the bible was written, people thought the world was flat
Actually, while back in the days when the early parts of the bible were written there indeed existed concepts of a flat Earth, but from Hellenistic antiquity on, almost no educated people thought the world was flat. Pythagoras in 6 BCE was prominent to advocate the Earth being a sphere, so was Aristotle in 4 BCE using ship's sails being hidden by the horizon as one of his main arguments. And in 3 BCE Eratosthenes already did an astonishingly accurate calculation of Earth's circumference.

For later Christians Aristotle was such an authority in science that they accepted his sphere concept of the Earth.