Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Rugby World Cup 2011 Discussion/Predictions

6K views 75 replies 5 participants last post by  UFC_OWNS 
#1 ·
Who do you think will advance from the groups and win in the finals?

Group A
1st New Zealand
2nd France
3rd Tonga
4th Japan
5th Canada

Group B
1st England
2nd Scotland
3rd Argentina
4th Romania
5th Georgia

Group C
1st Australia
2nd Ireland
3rd USA
4th Italy
5th Russia

Group D
1st Wales
2nd South Africa
3rd Fiji
4th Samoa
5th Namibia

Quarter Finals

Group A Winner VS Group B runner up

New Zealand vs Scotland - Winner New Zealand

Group D Winner VS Group C runner up

Wales vs Ireland - Winner Wales

Group C winner VS Group D runner up

Australia VS South Africa - Winner Australia

Group B Winner VS Group A runner up

England VS France = Winner England

Semi Finals

England VS Australia - Winner Australia

New Zealand VS Wales - Winner New Zealand

3rd Place Playoff

England VS Wales - Winner Wales

Final

Australia VS New Zealand - Winner Australia

See less See more
#3 ·
I will be watching on universal sports' website unless they air some of the matches on live tv here. I made my picks the way I saw them in the pool vbookie threads here:

http://www.mmaforum.com/sports-vbookie/

But to me pools A (NZ and France), C (Australia and Ireland), and D (S. Africa and Wales) seem like two horse races with the battles for 3rd place being the most interesting thing about those 3 pools. Of course you can't say that for pool B with England, Scotland and Argentina all capable of making the quarterfinals. That will definitely be the most exciting pool to watch play out. How is anyone going to stop New Zealand after they advance to the quarterfinals on their home turf? I thnk they beat Scotland, S. Africa and Australia to win it all.

#4 ·
well i could very easily see france beating NZ again in the pools to get them KO'd early in a bad QF match again, but australia have go this

#5 ·
NBC are nationally televising 3 matches of the world cup in free HD. Starting with this one Sunday at 2pm (won't lie to you, likely to get ugly for the US but I'm watchin anyway)

The other two matches they will air are New Zealand vs Canada (an equal blowout) and the best of all the Final. If you are lucky enough to live in Canada, you can see those NBC matches plus a far greater selection on TSN.

Anyway, the whole tourney kicks off in 6 hours if anybody wants to watch Kiwi's vs Tongans.

#6 ·
Wathching France vs Japan now. Japan have been doing far FAR better than anyone would of thought. The last penalty and try from France has kinda stopped their hopes for a win, but Japan have done themselves proud today. They played really really well.

#8 ·
New Zealand vs Australia

Wales vs France

Aus vs Wales final! Not predicting that game until I see the semi final form of both teams.

#9 ·
Agreed, cooper to 12 and barnes to 10 will seal us a win, but if slade is 10 for the ABs we also win, wales will run over france as I belive france are no south africa who wales should have beat

#10 ·
That and they struggled with Japan and lost to Tonga, and England started coming back strong at the end of the game against them. France were a team to fear 6 months ago....what happened?

Not that they can't beat us, if they find form again it'll be a very tough match.

ABs looked... well...I dunno, not like the ABs at all. They're really missing Carter...

I've yet to watch Aus vs Boks, but if Aus are even on 75% form I think they'll quite handily take New Zealand judging on how they were playing today. Like you said on twitter, hope Aus vs Wales final because we sent home the team that beat you in the pool stages, and you did the same for us.

#11 ·
we played at 30% today, cooper kept giving away the ball, but with 44% possession and 26% territory we still KO'd em and we beat them with the only try too, we put on some big hits too, france are easy to beat just win the set piece and play the running game, we beat em 59-16 last year

#13 ·
An interesting stat, we have not one at eden park for 24 years and the ABS have never beaten us in the World Cup. Slade is injured and so is someone else from the all blacks and mccabe is a bit crook but he is expected to play along with kurtley

#22 ·
Haha yeah it's going to be a massive game. A lot of stats that can be erased this weekend. A team that has lost in pool play has never gone on to win. We have never beaten you at World Cup time. And the Eden Park Hoodoo. Looking very forward to it. Haha yeah I remember reading a few of yours and his arguments. Haha

#24 ·
Heres another one Kry, if australia wins then the winner will first to be world cup winners with a loss in the pool stages

#26 ·
thats what I was thinking too, but I think wales vs aus will be the final instead of the 3rd place playoff and vice versa for the kiwis and french

#29 ·
Even the commentating on games is done with an English bias. It gets old quickly.

If England were in the semi's, the whole nation would be behind them 100%. But with Wales, whilst there is a lot of backing, it seems as if it's begrudged because they're there and England aren't. I'd bet the same would happen if Ireland or Scotland were in our position. It sucks.

Now that England are 100% out though, I think the talk will change this week and things will move forward.

This is exciting times for Welsh rugby, we have a new young hungry side that has the fitness of 2 teams, that play together well, and are all mates outside of rugby, and everyone's respecting and listening to Gatland (I officially love him, NZ make some damn fine coaches, and the fact he signed a new deal to 2015 for us is just amazing)

Normally welsh rugby is arguing with each other and the coaches, drinking and scandals, handling errors and petty mistakes.

I'm not saying we'll win the World cup, I'm not overlooking any of the remaining 3 teams we might have to face, but it's certainly the best chance we have ever had.

#30 ·
IMO the best team you guys have ever had thats why I predict you would make the final 4 before the tourney, the best part is your team is young so it wont be a 1 cup thing, and also you lads are putting NH teams to shame playing real running rugby.

#31 ·
Wales is definitely looking great! I reckon they have looked the best in the whole cup to be honest. They have not played one bad game. Even against the Boks they played brilliantly. They won that game too. I am counting that penalty goal that actually went over but idiot Wayne Barnes didn't give it.

Also, I can't believe that the TAB has New Zealand as almost 3 to 1 favourites this weekend. That is mental! it is going to be a much closer game than that.

#32 ·
I must say I did chuckle when everyone said we would get KO'd in the quarters, I know my own team and when we show up its when it matters, which explains why we have the most world cups and world cup final appearances, also I have to say David Pocock is the bets player in the world, he steals so many rucks for us its unbelievable.

#33 ·
Haha I though South Africa were looking great in pool play. But just had a feeling Aussie would pull through yesterday. Even though you had hardly any possession and territory I knew you were going to win. Pocock played incredibly yesterday! was very impressed. But I have to say Richie McCaw is the best player in the world. I actually said to one of my mates yesterday that Pocock will make it there. He has all the talent. Its just going to take time to accomplish what Richie has.

#36 ·
Richie is aan amazing player, but pocock has been playing with the worst aussie rugby team for like 6 years and won the best player of the country once and always been up there in a crappy side, if he was a reds playing my god.

#37 ·
New IRB rankings for the week!

If we beat France we may take 3rd...It's gonna be close. Aus should take first with a win over ZN (added 3 points to NZ total score for home advantage remember)

#41 ·
Go go USA :D Had fun watching their games, hope they progress and play some top teams more often for experience.

Just looking at some stats. Wales and Aus tied in 2nd place for most tries with 26. NZ have a staggering 38. They had an easier pool but daaaamn that's some high scoring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.