MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Does God Exist? Christian vs Atheist debate

View Single Post

Old 08-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #24 (permalink)
Soojooko
of Nazareth

Soojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrokenshieldx View Post
You are confusing things. First, science does concede that there is almost certainly life out there. Just given the vast number of planets that we know about in the universe, probabilistically speaking there should be thousands of other planets of life. If such planets exist, however, they almost certainly evolve in a manner similar to that described by Darwinian evolution. There is however, no evidence that the suspected life out there has technology more evolved and advanced than ours.I am not sure where you got this claim from, but I would be interested in what evidence you are talking about. Lets assume for a minute that you are correct, and there is a life-form out there that can create life. This is not a God as described by religions. This is simply just a highly advanced life forms. This life form would not be eternal, and no single life form would be omniscient and ommnipotent like Judeo-Christians describe. Moreover, this says nothing about afterlife, and, in fact, there would still surely be no afterlife.

Yes. Science, unlike religion, admits that we don't know everything. But we are trying. That is the point. Religioun encourages us to not expand our understanding of the universe and life, but to merely accept the stories that are written iin the greatest fiction story of all time. We do accept that some things in the universe are difficult to accept (an infinite universe, no afterlife). It is difficult for our rather simply brain to understand these things.

What assumptions are you talking about here? If the issue I am trying to draw conclusions from is the origins of man, it has little to do with the .999999999999% of the universe. There is a plethora of archaeological and DNA evidence that shows we have evolved from a lesser species. If I wanted to know how old the world is we can look at good science that uses carbon dating. To be sure, we have a lot to learn about the universe that is interesting, but there is plenty of evidence on this Earth that contradicts many of the core tenets of major religions.

There is almost certainly no God or afterlife. Go enjoy life while we have it. And always be a good human.
Are you seriously suggesting that without knowing barely anything about the universe that houses us and that governs the very physical laws we exist within, we can conclude as to the true origins of man? For all we know, we've been planted here.

And, considering our current civilization is 10000 years old, and that in that piddly amount of time we have gone from cavemen to what we have today... In all likely hood there are species of intelligent life out there that have existed for millions of years longer then us. With that in mind how can you say with any confidence that:-

Quote:
"There is however, no evidence that the suspected life out there has technology more evolved and advanced than ours."

Way I see it, if we can create an environment where we keep animals, and to them, that environment is their universe?? Well... there's nothing to say the same isnt being done to human beings and we dont even know it.

I dont believe in god by the way. I simply believe in possibilities.