MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - can u explain weight classes please

View Single Post

Old 09-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Intermission
Dexter Morgan

Intermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings SystemIntermission Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuthead55 View Post
I dont understand the weight class stuff. I just watched a video where gsp said tiago alves was 205lbs when he fought him. I thought 170lb devision was supposed to be 170 give or take a lb or two. I know im obviously a noob.

Can someone explain this to me?
You don't walk around at the weight you fight at. Have you ever heard of a "weight cut"? Basically fighters walk around 15-20 lbs over what they fight at and the week before their fight they sweat off the weight. Immediately after weight ins they put the weight back on and fight at their regular weight.

Let me give you a situation...

If I walk around at 155 and I want to fight at 135. I will cut the weight to make the limit and then rehydrate myself.

Now before you ask if that's unfair or whatever, you should just know that the more weight you cut, the more depleted and drained you will be fight night. Anthony Johnson walks around at 220 and fights a WW.