Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Rampage Jackson - Will he be the next legend to fall to Father Time?

2K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Rauno 
#1 ·
We've only got six days left and pretty much everyone wants Rampage to win outside of a few Jones fans(me being one of them) most people believe that if Rampage is gonna win he's gonna do it by knock out. But, one thing people are forgetting is that Rampage has been through some battles, he's had his fair share of wars and not many have brought up the question...

Will time catch up with Rampage? It's happened to Chuck, Wanderlei, Hughes, Fedor, Big Nog, Cro Cop, all of those guys have something in common with Rampage, they've been fighting or did fight for over ten years professionally. Rampage has had some great battles with the likes of Wanderlei three times and Shogun which are his only stoppage losses, the Liddell fight, the Henderson fight, the Forrest fight, the Machida fight, the Jardine fight, the Ninja Rua fight, Rampage has fought the best and he truly has beat most of them, but time catches up with everyone sooner or later.

In Rampage's UFC run he has only KO'ed Marvin Eastman, Chuck Liddell, and Wanderlei Silva and it's safe to say Chuck and Wanderlei's chins aren't what they used to be, Rampage has landed on Forrest and Jardine who many have said have questionable chins and he didn't KO either of them, since then Rashad Evans, Anderson Silva, and Shogun Rua have KO'ed Forrest, Thiago Silva and Ryan Bader KO'ed Keith Jardine. He was tagged by Rashad Evans and Lyoto Machida, and his last fight was a dominate performance over Matt Hamill who along with Shogun Rua are the only common opponents he has with Jon Jones. MMAmath isn't relevant but Jones destroyed both men, Shogun finished Rampage and Rampage beat down Hamill but not like Jones did. Perhaps more relevant, Alexander Gustaffson beat down and finished Matt Hamill in Hamill's next fight.

All in all, if Rampage wins it'll be a hell of a victory but if you look deep at his UFC career, if you break everything down and you take into account that he's very old in fighting years, it's very possible that time will defeat Rampage before he ever steps into the cage Saturday night.

What do you guys think? Does Rampage still have some fight left in him, or does time and Jon Jones put him away for good?

See less See more
Reactions: Curly
#3 ·
Jackson has a style that largley doesn't rely on speed or athleticism. He is a decent wrestler with solid boxing who hits like a ton of bricks. Rampages motivation to fight will be his downfall long before his body gives out. That doesn't mean he stands a chance against Jones though. Bones will walk through Rampage in awe inspiring fashion.

#5 ·
Wanderlei is only 35, Hughes was 33/34 when his decline started, same with Fedor, he's the same age as Rampage and he's in a decline now.

Rampage has ten years worth of fights under him and a quite a few of them have been all out wars, the damage adds up over time if you know what I mean.

#6 ·
To answer the question. Most likely. Like in the High 80 percentile.

I just don't see Rampage as being that comitted and dedicated to it. He is thinking about his post fight career and hasn't worked on anything new or changed his game at all.

I mean, yeah, okay, he beat Matt Hamill. But really, who's he, other than a good wrestler?

Why does Rampage have this fight anyway? Didn't Rashad beat Rampage, shouldn't he be further up the ladder. Keep in mind, I am saying this while hating Rashad and loving Rampage. I just don't see it. How in the world is he the #1 205 Contender?

#10 ·
To answer the question. Most likely. Like in the High 80 percentile.

I just don't see Rampage as being that comitted and dedicated to it. He is thinking about his post fight career and hasn't worked on anything new or changed his game at all.

I mean, yeah, okay, he beat Matt Hamill. But really, who's he, other than a good wrestler?

Why does Rampage have this fight anyway? Didn't Rashad beat Rampage, shouldn't he be further up the ladder. Keep in mind, I am saying this while hating Rashad and loving Rampage. I just don't see it. How in the world is he the #1 205 Contender?
If you actually read the facts you'd understand why he's fighting ahead of Rashad. Don't question it when you don't know...

#8 ·
How's that logical? And it's a discussion about Page, don't jump on every opportunity to diss GSP.

I don't think age is coming into play for Page right now, he still has some great fights in him. I think it's his style that isn't affected with age so much.

#17 ·
Rampage Jackson - Will he be the next legend to fall to Father Time?
First, I don't consider Rampage to be a "legend" in the sport, so there's that.

Second, I'm guessing 'Page's age won't be the deciding factor in his lack of success; his inability to evolve as a fighter will be.

In addition, he's not exactly a speed merchant in any facet of the game; he's conviced he's an elite-level boxer; and he chooses to not use the (limited) wrestling he has.

Unless he chooses and is able to work on some/all of those things, I just don't see him with a belt again.

#20 ·
Exactly what I was going to say. One of his big problems is he trains when he wants to. Most fighters are training all the time, even in between fights, practicing and learning new BJJ, striking, etc. Rampage seems to be happy with what he has and uses his 8 week training camp to freshen up his current skills.

#22 ·
You clearly did not read the original post, I mentioned Hughes as one of the examples, Serra and Renzo don't fight enough to be relevant, and Tito pretty much already has suffered from it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.