MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - 32 years old and starting MMA, need some advice

View Single Post

Old 09-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
edlavis88
Light Heavyweight

edlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemedlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemedlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemedlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemedlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemedlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemedlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemedlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemedlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemedlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemedlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings System
I feel your pain man. I don't compete in MMA and dont think i ever will but i boxed for 3 1/2 years and started training BJJ and thai boxing abotu 18 months ago and to be honest with you the first year sucks. You get beat up and get sore as hell and it's only when you really start thinking about it that you realise how much you've actually learnt from it all.

Getting your ass handed to you is such an important part of training though and the only way you learn to improve/ get your body used to the pain. I remember the first few months of throwing leg kicks... it was ******* agony but I've got to the point now where the pain is basically non existent.
The best thing you can do is learn to enjoy the struggle - in my BJJ sessions now i probably prefer being on my back than in top position (No gay jokes pls...) and trust me the pay off is well worth it, i remember subbing my BJJ instructor for the first (and only...) time, it was an incredible feeling.

Anyways keep us informed with how its going and good luck! Chase that yankee dollar!