MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - The official Rusty CJ5 build thread

View Single Post

Old 10-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #54 (permalink)
Rusty
Gone Hunting

Rusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings System
I'd forgot about this thread until the other day and didn't realize how much further along I was Turns out my ban happened right after the last update and after getting a little more work done I took a few weeks off from working on it. I'm a lazy bum

My buddy who owns the shop has been out of town the last few weekends so that slowed me down and I've decided to change directions on this build a little bit. I'll explain later.

After calling the Novak place complaining about their misinformation on my swap it turns out that I received the wrong throwout bearing with my clutch kit somehow. I felt bad about talking shit for a second at least.

They ship me a new throwout for no other reason than I needed one since I didn't buy the clutch from them, starting to like these guys btw

It worked perfectly and after mating the transmission to the engine we set it in the jeep. Something wasn't right, there was an inch gap between the mounts and the framerails for some reason even though I used everything off the old jeep. We fabbed up some spacers and got it set in there anyway. Forgot pics of this.

Next problem was the crossmember. Because the tranny I bought from Novak was originally a 2wd the mount that was on the tailhousing wasn't there anymore. That put the mount location about a foot further back since the adapter from the transfer case has the mount on it. With my fabrication skills being very limited I was lucky to have a couple friends that were skilled at it

They used some 1x2 metal on the ends and a small pice of channel to house the mount.

This pic shows the pieces used on the ends and the tabs that the yellow pieces will be bolted to. Jeff welded the tabs to the frame. Note the angle of the ends of the yellow pieces to have it lign up square with the frame.

This pic shows the c channel that will house the mount.

I wish I'd have taken a pic of the factory skid/crossmember to show how far it rests below the frame because I gained 3-4 inches of ground clearance with the fabbed one. We put a level on the carburetor base to make sure every thing was level before we did this too. I have no ideea why jeep ran that low hanging, anchor of a crossmember on a 4x4

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote