MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - The official Rusty CJ5 build thread

View Single Post

Old 10-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #55 (permalink)
Rusty
Gone Hunting

Rusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings SystemRusty Is Beyond A Rankings System
During the offtime of this build I did some serious research on how to stretch the wheelbase, axle strength required for successful rock crawling, and basically just observing what other gentleman had done to become avid crawlers. My project did not fit the bill basically.

The rear axle on mine will be an AMC model 20 with replacement of the two piece axle shafts which is their main weakness aside from bending the axle housing. Basically a beefed up half ton

The front axle is a dana 30 with a puny ring gear that has the lowest gear ratio possible, 4.88. Even with the chrome moly shafts and bigger axle u joints the high number of gear teeth mean that they are smaller which is not good. Fine for trail riding but not for the rocks.

I have since abandoned the wheelbase stretch that I was planning. It will not get the comp cut on the rear quarter panels turns out.

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote