MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Need some advice

View Single Post

Old 10-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
lazyfighter
MMA fighter
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com

lazyfighter has a spectacular aura aboutlazyfighter has a spectacular aura aboutlazyfighter has a spectacular aura aboutlazyfighter has a spectacular aura aboutlazyfighter has a spectacular aura aboutlazyfighter has a spectacular aura aboutlazyfighter has a spectacular aura aboutlazyfighter has a spectacular aura aboutlazyfighter has a spectacular aura aboutlazyfighter has a spectacular aura aboutlazyfighter has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thales View Post
Don't forget that you can use different techniques for maximizing strength/conditioning gains, even from weights that seem light. Ex: Flat bench press followed immediately by elevated push-ups. A benefit of having lighter weights is being forced to focus on form and muscle contraction during concentric and eccentric phases of each repetition.

Definitely. You'll find that kettlebells are a different type of monster. The only time I suffer from DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)is after a powerlifting workout or kettlebells workouts. A 15lb. kettlebell can make you sore in ways a 15lb. dumbbell can't.

Supplementation is your call based on an assessment of your diet.

Protein- A lot of personal trainers and fad dietitians say the more protein you eat the more fat you lose and muscle you gain. This is true to a point; a gram of protein does have a higher thermic effect than a carb or fat gram, and is absolutely necessary for new muscle development. However you can still get fat from over-eating protein and if you don't stimulate muscle growth your body won't build muscle. I'd say keep your protein intake to around 1 gram per pound of body weight. I'm hovering around 185 right now and consuming around 190 grams of protein per day.

Vitamins- If you're eating a healthy mix of vegetables and fruit a multi-vitamin is unnecessary. You won't hurt yourself with moderate vitamin supplementation, but you won't see a huge benefit from it either if you have a balanced diet. A basic Walmart brand multi-vitamin will work if you're dead set on adding a vitamin.

Creatine- Your call on creatine. You'll notice a moderate increase in mass largely due to an increase in water retention and muscle glycogen, and a slight increase in strength. When I'm bulking I'll try to load creatine at about 20g per day, broken into 4 doses of around 5g. Basically I'll dump a heaping tablespoon of creatine monohydrate into my mouth, take a few gulps of grape juice and swish it around, then follow with at least 24oz of water. Just as a side note basic creatine monohydrate, the cheap stuff at Vitamin Shoppe or Walmart, is just as effective or more effective than the expensive crap like Celltech or Con-Cret. My opinion speaking from trial and error.

All of the stuff I've told you is based on my own experience, so take it with a grain of salt.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice.
I actually did my first weights workout there and concentrated on form and keeping the pump up. I noticed I was very fatigued in my muscles after and could barely pick my own arms up. I have had that before when I didnt train for a while then went back into it. So at least I know its intense and heavy enough for now.