MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - swpthleg's training log
View Single Post
post #300 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Curitiba Food and Liquor
Mon 11-08 : AM 3 mile run, PM karate, cardio drills and bag drills and not the usual drudgery, fortunately.
Tue: MT was the customary mat jog/jump rope/shadowbox warmup, then partner pad work and bag work. The gym owner, who is also the BJJ instructor, just won his first ammy MT match at heavyweight.
Wed: BJJ. Mount escape (push your fists into their gut and bridge and shrimp out hard) and guard passing drills; I also used the butt floss move successfully for the first time in rolling live. The instructor's 7-year-old son busted out laughing when he heard that term. I learned that trying for a collar choke in guard is a terrible idea. This is what comes of virtually no newaza in judo apart from choke drills where nobody is trying to submit you. I should have known this all along, as it's leaving an arm out. My teacher double-armbarred me as I tried to stack, to his great amusement.
Thur: MT, a ton of pad and bag work, like I like it.
Fri: rested
Sat: Judo, maybe 6-8 demanding drills and the rest was standing around talking, mostly because the guy who likes to throw makikomi throws doesn't realize that it's your last throw on your feet.

I should mention that as of the first of Dec. I'll just be a gym member at the dojo up the road, so my daughter and I can run. I won't particularly miss karate, except for some of the people I took classes with, who were great. I will miss judo quite a bit and will try to sneak into class here and there, but the opportunity to train MT with a guy who previously only trained pros or gave private lessons for $50/hr, and BJJ with a student of Chuck Anzalone, who trained and got his black belt under Carlson Gracie and de la Riva, after Carlson died, is too great to pass up.

Sig Credit to Toxic

Last edited by swpthleg; 11-13-2011 at 12:20 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome