MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - What game(s) are you playing?

View Single Post

Old 11-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #378 (permalink)
HexRei
I Finish Threads

HexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C View Post
Dead Island is a co-op game. It's not really any better than L4D if you're playing single player.

If you have friends to co-op it, it's a lot of fun, otherwise, not really a great game.
Weellllllll, I'd say it's better than L4D (or L4D2) in terms of a single player experience. DI has loot, levelling, dialog, stores, quests, and other RPG-type stuff that the L4D games lack, and they beef up the SP experience. I feel the individual combat is more robust and satisfying than L4D's. That said, it's painfully obvious that DI was meant to be played with others (to the point of immersion-breakage, like when a cut scene pops up and suddenly you're kicking it with three allies you've never even seen before), and you're definitely right that multiplayer (at least, if you aren't a victim of the many bugs) is the way to go to enjoy what the developers intended. Still, I did my first playthrough solo just to soak up the story, and it was fun enough.

Bonnar's right about the trailer, but that was something between a movie short and a music video. Hard to make a game live up to what amounts to an emotional kick in the balls.