MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Karate vs Kickboxing?

View Single Post

Old 11-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cyvamp
MMA Fanatic

Cyvamp has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by snook_crook View Post
Im sorry but karate deserves no place in the world of mixed martial arts ask any fighter they'll tell you.
Karate deserves no place in MMA? You realize that North American kickboxing is based on karate right? K1 was started by a Kyokushin karate master. GSP, Bas Rutten, Chuck Liddell, Lyoto Machida... and plenty of others that don't advertise it but clearly use it. Karate contains more striking techniques than Muay Thai and Taekwondo combined. Punches, kicks, knees, elbows, stances, transitions, combinations... no art has better footwork, period. Machida and GSP use their footwork to dominate standup and use their stances to defend takedowns. Many UFC fighters aren't directly karateka however they almost all use some karate... I've trained with Kenny Florian personally and his standup is supposedly Muay Thai... but first hand I can say a lot of it is actually from Karate. Karate teaches more than just strikes; but blocks, stances, footwork, timing, distancing, accuracy, power, speed, proper bio-mechanics and leverage... it is very well rounded, very technical, and very brutal... and anyone who thinks it is some chump art has not trained at a decent school or just has never trained in it at all. I have a black belt in Goju-Ryu and now I train kickboxing... I was put into the advanced program immediately because my power, accuracy, speed, footwork and everything else were all superb. Kickboxing is better for endurance and stamina... but Karate is better if you want a true technical mastery of striking which is well rounded. Karate will also teach counter-striking better than any other martial art... which is important because it is very difficult to move in on a skilled counter striker.
Cyvamp is offline   Reply With Quote