MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - DREAM: New Year! 2011!

View Single Post

Old 12-02-2011, 06:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
edlavis88
Light Heavyweight

edlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemedlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemedlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemedlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemedlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemedlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemedlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemedlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemedlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemedlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemedlavis88 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Tim Sylvia vs. Brett Rogers Set For Dream NYE Show Despite Jail Sentence for Rogers

Quote:
Two big men looking to recapture some old glory are apparently scheduled to meet in Dream on December 31st. And one of them will practically be going straight from a jail cell to a ring to do it. Former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia is set to meet Brett Rogers. Heavy has the info:

Tim Sylvia and Brett Rogers will fight on Dream's New Year's Eve show at the Saitama Super Arena just north of Tokyo. Sources close to the negotiations on Wednesday confirmed the fight booking to Heavy.com. The fight has not yet been announced by Dream.

Yesterday, Rogers was sentenced to 60 days in jail after being convicted on felony third-degree assault charges, according to TwinCities.com. Rogers was given credit for 26 days already served, but will have to complete two-thirds of his sentence before being released. That means he'd get out on December 13th, leaving him just 18 days to train for the fight. His lawyer asked if Rogers could serve his term after the fight, but the judge denied that request. Rogers will also have to re-appear in court on January 19th for violating the conditions of his release.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if this bout actually happened. It's common knowledge that acquiring a visa to fight in Japan can be tough, especially for a man that's just coming out of jail. I'm sure Sylvia will compete that night. But Rogers? I wouldn't completely count on it.
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/12/1...w-despite-jail

Sylvia takes this. Rogers is a scrub...