MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Lack of Philosophical Grounding in Modern "Pop" Atheism

View Single Post

Old 12-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Soakked
Welterweight

Soakked Is Beloved By AllSoakked Is Beloved By AllSoakked Is Beloved By AllSoakked Is Beloved By AllSoakked Is Beloved By AllSoakked Is Beloved By AllSoakked Is Beloved By AllSoakked Is Beloved By AllSoakked Is Beloved By AllSoakked Is Beloved By AllSoakked Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by TearyEyedTrista View Post
So...what if you where just born in an Atheist household and just never believed in God? That's where I'm coming from. I don't know anything about the history of Atheism I just remember having friends believing in God and asking my mom "what God is and her saying something along the lines of like, oh those people are just part of a religion. They believe a guy exists who made the world. We don't believe that though."

I believed in God for a litlte bit cause my best friend did but later on without going to Church and without really practicing at home, it became like Santa Clause. Just didn't feel right to believe.

My position is less though of an unbelief in God and more of a we don't know everylthing so let's not make up stuff to help us figure it out kind of a position. That's how my mom is.

So are you saying I should not call myself an Athiesm till I give Christianity or Theism a shot? I do notice that most Athiests are Christians who are rebelling against their parents. And they tend to have a more "Dark" and "life is meaningless" type of attitude with their Athiesm than I do. I'm more a happy go lucky athiest. lol
To label yourself something means you understand what that label means or implies, however without the proper context you are labeling yourself out of ignorance (not derogatory; definition - lack of knowledge in given subject). That was the point the OP was making (at least that's what I got out of it). Most people that label themselves Atheist are really agnostic meaning not sure either way (overall main theme though there are variations).

There are different types of Atheism just like there are different branches of Christianity, but generally when people say they are Atheist it is taken to mean that they believe there is no God. To come to that conclusion you would have to be able to explain philosophically what lead you there. Agnostics have more flexibility in that they can simple state "There is not sufficient enough evidence either way to say that God or any supernatural being exists or doesn't exist".
"Let them see that their words can cut you, and you'll never be free of the mockery. If they want to give you a name, take it, make it your own. Then they can't hurt you with it anymore." - Tyrion Lannister
Soakked is offline   Reply With Quote