MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Unmotivated, no gyms, nothing.
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 02:03 AM
Curitiba Food and Liquor
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
Hi. This is my first time on the forum, so I apologize if I posted this thread in the wrong section. I hope to have a great stay here!

My name is Henry, and I am currently 15 years of age. I've always been into martial arts, especially Jiu-Jitsu. I recently gained an interest in MMA this year. I trained at an MMA gym for around 3 months. I stopped training at that gym because I felt very insecure with egotastic practitioners, and the facility was simply too small to train; let alone spar and roll.

I flooded the internet with searches for my nearest BJJ/MMA gym. There was a BJJ gym around 1 hour away from where I live. As my mother has a very busy schedule, and she does not take notice of my interests; I decided to take public transport. I arrive at the BJJ gym and I can promise you it was the best training lesson ever. Everyone was friendly and caring. No ego, fun, training for our own purposes. Pure class.

I had my trial day, and was given information on training fees. I was stunned by how expensive they were, and it was simply too expensive to afford as a teen.
Decided to move onto Judo.
A Judo gym is surprisingly only 15 minutes away from me. I got there, and it was another mcdojo. Kids mucking around in Gi's, no sparring, instructors telling stories about his childhood and bullies. Not what I was looking for.
All the other gyms are up north from where I live which are 1 hour and a half away from me.

I'm so frustrated about how hard it is to find a decent gym over here. Should I take boxing as a starter? There aren't any Muay Thai gyms for me over there either. And I don't want to do TKD because 90% of them are mcdojos and it simply doesn't work in a fight. arghhhhhhh.....

Any suggestions guys? Training fees / money is what stops me from training. Other than that, I am so determined to train as hard as I can.
1) Save your pennies for decent running shoes, as I'm pretty sure there's open road or other terrain near your house.

2) Jump rope.

3) YouTube tutorials.

Sig Credit to Toxic
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome