MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - The National Defense Authorization Act signed by Obama

View Single Post

Old 01-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
oldfan
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY

oldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Materialoldfan Is Future HOF Material
Although he quoted it in his signing statement this is actual language from the controversial section of the bill.

Quote:
e) AUTHORITIES.—Nothing in this section shall be construed
to affect existing law or authorities relating to the detention of
United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States,
or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United
States.
(f) REQUIREMENT FOR BRIEFINGS OF CONGRESS.—The Secretary
of Defense shall regularly brief Congress regarding the application
of the authority described in this section, including the organiza-
tions, entities, and individuals considered to be ‘‘covered persons’’
for purposes of subsection (b)(2).
^^ so, it's like, you know, the law man.

what is the actual language in the bill which you think allows for the indefinite detention of American citizens?

This entire thing has been a song and dance orchestrated by Republicans to embarrass Obama and fool lazy Americans into somehow thinking that He is responsible for a law that they passed 10 years ago.

Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) (Public Law 107-40; 50 U.S.C. 1541 note)

please tell me how this new bill affects you in a way that the old law did not?

Edit: M.C. I apologize if I sound a little strident towards you. I just get tired of Obama getting blamed for everything, even the weather. And that is what this is. A whole lot of machination so that the republican nominee can have a sound bite to throw at Obama.

It's political football. either he's weak on terrorism or he's trying to take away your rights.

Ps. I had a good laugh at the part about them not allowing us to rebel.