Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

BREAKING NEWS: Cristiane 'Cyborg' Santos tests positive for steroids

13K views 62 replies 38 participants last post by  kantowrestler 
#1 ·
Not good..... Not massivley suprising either looking at her though! Massive blow for womens mma!

#32 ·
Strikeforce Women 145 Pound Division Put on Hold, Cyborg' Santos Stripped of Title

Cyborg' Santos Stripped of Strikeforce Title After Steroid Test, 145 Pound Division Put on Hold

Following the news of the positive steroid test of Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos earlier today there was some questioning of what it meant for Strikeforce and the women's 145 pound division. Dana White was on ESPN Radio in Las Vegas this evening to say that Cyborg would be stripped and it sounds like 145 is being shut down.

From the radio show (via USA Today):

"We were going to hold that division and just do fights with 'Cyborg' whenever there was a new contender," White told ESPN Radio on Friday. "She's getting stripped of the title. I don't know. We'll see what happens."
Scott Coker had his own statement released in a more prepared fashion:

"Strikeforce has not seen the test results regarding Ms. Santos. However, we have a consistent and strong stance against any use of performance-enhancing drugs. We also have a long history of supporting effective drug testing of athletes by authorized regulatory bodies.

"Therefore, we will closely monitor the matter and will work with the California State Athletic Commission regarding any information we may be asked to provide. We also recognize that Ms. Santos has administrative process rights under California law and we hope that she is not prejudged before she has the opportunity to exercise such rights."
Speaking personally, as someone who has never been a fan of women's MMA, shutting down 145 seems like the best option. Given the lack of depth across WMMA, it would seem to make the most sense to get everyone into one division and force depth that way.

Cyborg's positive test may actually turn out to be the best possible thing for WMMA if it creates more depth in a single division and more competitive fights that fans actually want to see.
Source

#35 ·
It might just be me but it seems like California is a lot more likely to catch a fighter on roids than Nevada?

I Havent done any research but if my memory is right CSAC has caught a few, NSAC not very many.. Thiago Silva is the only one that comes to mind, and his was tampered with by him.
Probably just me looking for a conspiracy..

#37 ·
Well roids or not Cyborg demolishes every single competitor at that weight and above.

She'll be back, it's just too bad this had to happen after there was a bit of traction in Strikeforce for womens MMA.

:thumbsdown:

#45 ·
Chris responds.

I would like to sincerely apologize to StrikeForce, the Zuffa organization, Hiroko Yamanaka and my fans for my failed drug test.

I am ultimately responsible for everything I put in my body, and at the end of the day, there is no excuse for having a prohibited substance in my system. I do not condone the use of any performance enhancing drugs by myself or any other professional athlete, and willingly accept the penalties and fines that have been handed down to me by the California State Athletic Commission and those of the StrikeForce/Zuffa organization.

While I was preparing myself for my last fight I was having a difficult time cutting weight and used a dietary supplement that I was assured was safe and not prohibited from use in sports competition. It was never my intention to obtain an unfair advantage over Hiroko, mislead StrikeForce, the Commission or my fans. I train harder than any fighter in MMA and do not need drugs to win in the cage, and I have proven this time and time again! My only mistake is not verifying the diet aid with my doctor beforehand, and understanding that it was not approved for use in the ring. Unfortunately in the end I suffer the consequences and must accept the responsibility for my actions.

I will do everything I can to show my fans that I can still compete at the professional level without the use of any prohibited substances, and ask God's forgiveness for my mistake.
http://www.criscyborg.com/News/Entries/2012/1/7_Criss_Statement_Regarding_Steroid_Allegations.html

#48 ·
The dietary supplement story is obviously bs:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2123301

Also this is quite interesting from Wikipedia:

Stanozolol is usually considered a safer choice for female bodybuilders in that its anabolic effects predominate over its androgenic effects, although virilization and masculinization are still very common even at low doses.
anyway... It's only illegal if you get caught, right?

#46 ·
Looks like Dana is going to let the women's MMA division in Strikeforce die because of this. Not that he was going to do much with it anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.