MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - How would you do the third FOX show?

View Single Post

Old 01-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Voiceless
Middleweight

Voiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion View Post
We all know and will all probably agree there's no possible way that Nate Diaz vs. Jim Miller will be a shitty fight, but the UFC has put on two FOX shows and they've got a mixed bag, everyone criticized the decision to show just Velasquez/dos Santos when Ben Henderson and Clay Guida was left on the under card and a title shot went to the winner, that fight turned out to be one of the better ones of the year according to most(I never saw it because of a shitty stream) then in the main event the only fight on FOX, dos Santos knocked out Velasquez in about 64 seconds to win the Heavyweight title.
Velasquez vs dos Santos on FOX wasn't part of the FOX deal, as far as I've understood it was a teaser on the idea of the FOX guys involved.

Quote:
Last night, we didn't get no quick fights, all three fights went the distance but they were heavily criticized, Michael Bisping proved he belonged in the Middleweight title picture and earned his spot at the top of the weight class despite losing, Chris Weidman took a fight on 11 days notice and had to go from 217 lbs to 185 in 10 days so his gassing out was pretty much a foregone conclusion and Phil Davis offered nothing for Rashad Evans in a fight that saw Evans cruise.
I don't have the impression that all three fights were heavily criticized. Maia vs Weidman was criticized, in particular Maia's performance. His boxing was really sloppy, yet he stick to it instead of trying to play his strength and make it a BJJ match. Maia looked even more gassed than Weidman. Two MWs already looking gassed at the end of the first round, while in the main event two LHWs, who by physiology (more muscle mass consuming more oxygen), with more action still kept it nicely going at the end of round five, is pathetic (ok, Weidman had to cut big on short notice, but Maia had all the time he needed to prepare).

But the other two fights weren't that bad apart from that they ended in decisions.

Quote:
So far the FOX deal hasn't got off to the best of starts but they're not gonna cancel the deal after one fight, they've got their third show coming up in May and the aforementioned Diaz/Miller fight is on it.

So besides Diaz/Miller, how would you book the third FOX show? It'll likely be three fights and Diaz/Miller is probably going to be one of the three so that leaves two fights to make. What would you like to see the UFC do? Personally, I'd like to see Diaz/Miller open and have them draw interest in what will likely be a fifteen minute war, get the ratings to increase as the fight goes, Velasquez/Mir co-main event to give everyone a taste of the bigger guys and a finish and then have Dustin Poirier vs. Erik Koch as the headliner which would give the fans an entertaining main event and help out the lighter weights.
For FOX, to attract new viewers, I would put on rather one dimensional fighters with good names. To present MIXED Martial Arts to a new audience that may sound paradoxical at first glance, but I think it isn't. MMA is too complex for a new spectator to really be able to understand and appreciate all its aspects. As good and enjoyable a fight like Henderson vs Guida for the MMA-educated spectator is as it showed almost all aspects of MMA, it would be too confusing for a new spectator without MMA-knowledge. That's why I think with rather one dimensional fighters that keep the fight most of the time in one area, a new spectator could better concentrate on the fight and understand what's happening with aid of Rogan's comments (for FOX events Rogan should do more explanatory commenting).
Voiceless is offline   Reply With Quote