Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

How the pros scored Condit/Diaz

8K views 70 replies 38 participants last post by  AmdM 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I had it 48-47 Condit as well.

Their opinions mean a lot more than mine on the matter so maybe I should rethink how I judge fights. Aggression and octagon control might be more important than I orignally thought.

#8 ·
Octagon Control went to Condit. If you are implying that Diaz took Octagon Control then you should start by learning what it is first. If you are not implying this then i apologize for wasting your time. I apologize about my apology for wasting your time to read that. I also apologize about my apology apology...... you get the point. :hug:

#3 ·
Man i already hate Cody Mckenzie from watching Dana's V blogs and seeing how much of an asshole he is but if you don't hate him yet, go read his twitter. Loads of guys tweet him back saying they though Condit won, and he lays into them all with stuff like "you are a nobody, learn what footwork is and you'll see why Diaz won!" newsflash cody - Footwork is what won Condit the fight you assclown.

#4 ·
Cody Mckenzie, lol. Hes a one trick pony who will be irelevant and out of a job after his next fight. I didnt like it but Condit did win the fight.

#13 ·
I actually scored round 1,3,4 in favour of Condit with 2 and 5 going to Diaz. You can not and never will be able to get a definitive answer on whether 3 mins out outstriking outweighs getting back mount.

I dont think it's worth arguing about the decision as it was such a close fight and everyone values different aspects of fighting differently based on what background they come from or what dicipline they most value. I come from a boxing background therefore in terms of stand up i value landing strikes over everything else, others value control and aggression more.

#15 · (Edited)
Oh lord please give me strength.

Well the pros scored Diaz because, well Diaz won its not that hard. I mean how many of you besides not being fighters, have went back and watched the fight 3-4 times, and did a punch count?

The only reason Condit came out ahead on strikes was those garbage leg taps he was doing as he jumped in and out. He did land more power shots in the 3-4 but not in the 1-2. And in the 5th Condit was not ahead on strikes go watch it again and count and then Diaz scored the only take down of the fight and controlled him on the ground for 1:30 minutes. He went for a heel lock at the last second Carlos wasnt on top as far as being in control ever. Sorry sometimes that might win you the round.

Put aside the fact that Carlos was no killer, or finisher, he came in to do a stand up tactical version of the lay and pray concocted by his weak camp who are known for $hit like that. Dont act like it was genius and I wont act like despite the fact that Diaz really won, he should have finished that runner or now make it his new life goal to get back in there and break him instead of retiring which is bad for the sport and the fans.

Be real it just kills me when people call one guy a baby for being fed-up with the system and call the other guy Mr wizard for using a cowards point strategy while claiming hes a warrior. How about a banker because thats what Carlos went for at the cost of his reputation and character.

#21 ·
Pros pick Diaz = 12
Pros pick Condit = 4

And obviously whoever has an opinion on Condit losing the fight is called a diaz fanboy, right...in case you couldn't tell... that was sarcasm.

Condit fanboys are relentless at calling anyone with an opinion that doesn't involve saying how great of a gameplan it was a diaz fanboy.

I'm neither a huge fan of Diaz or Condit, but a huge fan of GSP. Just pointing out the facts how I see them.

#24 ·
Im not even sure the 1st 2 rounds werent closer than people are making it out to be. Fight metrix already said that these were the most leg kicks landed in the history of the UFC. Granted they might not do significant damage everytime they land but they do score points. Lets face it Condit said it best, if he fought Diaz's fight then Diaz would be champion. We forget its called mixed martial arts. Diaz didn't really do anything other than attempt to clinch and stalk Condit while talking more than triple the shots he dished out.

That being said I thought that the first minute or so in the 5th round that Diaz did land several leg kicks on Condit that I thought surprised Condit and then Carlos had control until he got taken down. SO I thought it could have gone either way.

As far as Octagon control, I understand that Diaz walked him down, but Condit circled out (or "Ran" occording to some ridiculous people)and took the center of the Octagon. I really don't get how people just expected Condit to stand and bang with someone that can take a hell of a shot and come forward. Diaz boxing is superior to Condits, so why would he box with Diaz.

Funny how Shogun (won) the first fight with Machida because most couldnt understand how the leg attacks didnt count. Now its called running. Diaz wanted Condit to trade and couldnt do anything to counter what Condit was doing in there. If condit ran and didnt land anything of note then why was Diaz looking more worse for ware?

#27 ·
First time I watched:
Round 1: 10-10
Round 2: 10-9 Diaz
Round 3: 9-10 Condit
Round 4: 9-10 Condit
Round 5: 10-10

Gonna watch it again this evening.. Maybe I'll feel different. I don't think I'm going to change my mind.

#29 ·
looked like Condit landed more but also looked like his punches/kicks did less damage. pretty much never Diaz looked to be in trouble.
Nick's attacks seemed to me to be more powerful + Carlos's running sort of showed that it was the case.

IMO running with your back towards opponent should be point deductible - especially to this extent. Angling and footwork is one thing but full on running is something else

#30 ·
They only picked those fighters in the OP for the way they wanted it to look.

Where is Bas Rutten one of the most respected analysts and fighters in the sport? iaz.

#31 ·
I'm with the Pro's..I clearly had Diaz winning...Everything Condit threw was backing up, thus not having as much impact on the punches or kicks...The Judges gave no credit to Diaz for controlling the fight...Which is Odd by the way they always score fights...

Either way, I was just dissapointed in the fight as a whole..I thought both fighters should have done better

#32 ·
It's a classic dispute between "what should count more than what". I personally think significant strikes landed should count more than being the aggressor. Ultimately though, it comes down to the judges and there is nothing you can do about it. Maybe one day, they'll create a better scoring system so there is less controversy.

#39 ·
A good point thats been brought up, in boxing if you turn your back on your opponent, you get a point deducted.

i know a lot of yall are praising condit for not falling into nicks gameplan, but i dont see how you cant put condit at any fault for not engaging. his strikes were obviously the less effective ones

if i want to make gifs of each round where diaz was landing beautiful subtle straight rights and straight lefts, i could just like you guys making these condit images. but it seemed like everything condit threw was with restraint... nothing hurt diaz at all

i only see condit taking rd 3 and 4

#40 ·
In boxing turning you back makes it so your opponent really can't attack, in MMA turning your back is taking a chance of giving up a bad position. If Diaz wanted Condit to quit turning his back to him he should have made him pay for it. Diaz is a great grappler why didn't he get in close and when Condit turned oto leave Diaz could have taken his back. Thing is Condit game with a great gameplan and adapted Diaz showed a complete lack of ability to adapt and that is why he is crying his eyes out in Stockton without a belt.

#41 ·
I’ve always thought of the term “octagon control” as the ability to control where the fight takes place i.e. pressing someone up against the cage using the clinch and dirty-boxing, taking a guy down repetidly, cutting off someone and landing effective strikes, cornering someone against the cage and landing effective strikes (Cerrone vs. Diaz or Penn vs. DIaz) etc. Carlos was able to escape most of the time, that’s not really control. Nick was the aggressor but not in control.

#50 ·
Exactly this.

My interpretation of "octagon control" would be that you dictate where the fight takes place. Condit seemed to dictate where the fight took place (center cage), where Diaz repeately tried to corner Condit (without much success). At best, I would call the entire category a wash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.