Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

With surprising fan support, Tim Sylvia 'pretty much begging' for UFC second chance

3K views 37 replies 26 participants last post by  Mirage445 
#1 ·
http://mmajunkie.com/news/27730/with-surprising-fan-support-tim-sylvia-pretty-much-begging-for-ufc-second-chance.mma

If you're an MMA fan and you spend any time at all on Twitter – or Facebook, MMA forums or any other online destination – you've probably seen a fairly big campaign to get Tim Sylvia back in the UFC.

Even Sylvia, a former UFC champ, admits the support is surprising.

But he hopes it'll amplify his message to the UFC: "I made a mistake. I was wrong. I'm sorry. I screwed up. But give me a second chance please. I'm pretty much begging."

Sylvia (30-7 MMA, 9-4 UFC) has been persona non grata at the UFC since 2008, when he requested out of the one remaining fight on a UFC contract he found unsatisfactory. He then signed with Affliction Entertainment – a now-defunct promotion that briefly tried to compete with the UFC – and suffered a submission loss to Fedor Emelianenko.

Then came an embarrassing nine-second knockout loss to 47-year-old boxer Ray Mercer, and Sylvia dropped off the MMA radar.

Since then, though, he's quietly amassed a 6-1 record with five stoppages. He's defeated some decent names such as Paul Buentello and Andreas Kraniotakes. Admittedly, though, it's hard to find top-tier heavyweight competition anywhere but the UFC.

That's why he hopes UFC official can forgive him.

"It was a stupid mistake I made, especially with how it all worked out," Sylvia today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "But I know (UFC co-owners) Dana (White) and Lorenzo (Fertitta) and all those guys have given second chances – Tito Ortiz being one of them, B.J. Penn, Mark Coleman, the guys who did the **** jokes on Twitter and all that stuff. Even Nate Marquardt is getting a second chance with Strikeforce."

And really, that's all Sylvia wants: a second chance. "The Maine-iac," who celebrates his 36th birthday today, doesn't see fighting past the age of 40. And after spending six years with the UFC from 2002 to 2008 – including stints as the heavyweight champ – and building his name there, he hopes to end his career there, as well.

In fact, he said his desire is so pure – that it's about the competition, not the money – that he's making UFC officials an interesting proposition.

"I don't care about the money," he said. "I've made that statement. I don't need a lot of money. I just want to end my career in the UFC and retire fighting the best. I even made a bold statement where I don't even want a show purse. Just give me my win bonus or if I win a fight-night bonus, give me that.

"I don't even care about fighting for a title."

Soon after Sylvia's campaign caught steam, MMAjunkie.com asked White if he was paying attention. White, though, said the Mercer loss was his only recollection of Sylvia's post-UFC career, and he apparently was unaware of his recent run on the regional circuit.

White also said that the heavyweight division now is more mature – much more so than when Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski's three fights were about the only thing of note in the UFC's paper-thin division.

"If you look at when Tim Sylvia was in the heavyweight division, I say it all the time: It's when we had the weakest heavyweight division in the company's history," White said. "Him and (Andrei) Arlovski were knocking each other out every weekend."

In other words, White isn't sure Sylvia can compete with the new generation of big men.

Sylvia, though, doesn't see it that way. He thinks he can compete with just about anyone in the division, including champ Junior Dos Santos ("he has holes in his game") and top contender Alistair Overeem ("he has a better physique than I do, but I think I'm just as strong and just as good a striker").

In fact, if you look the next rung on the heavyweight ladder, he thinks he's both a better fighter and a more marketable draw.

"I don't why they won't let me back, but I know I'm more of a draw than half those guys," Sylvia said. "I know I'm more of a draw than (Pat) Barry and (Christian) Morecraft and (Matt) Mitrione and (Cheick) Kongo. Even if they have something against me, marketing wise and money wise, it seems like it would be smart on their half to use me."

So for now, Sylvia keeps fighting the good fight. He'll take what MMA bouts he can, and he'll continue to campaign for a UFC return online. In the meantime, he and manager Monte Cox hope they'll eventually get a call for a return to the octagon.

"I just want to put on a great show for the fans," he said. "That's what the fans want to see. They've spoken. The fans have spoken, and they want to see me back in the UFC.

"At least just give me one shot."
I wouldn't mind seeing it

#2 ·
I say let him back in. With the loss of Lesnar, CroCop, and with Big Nog on the shelf the UFC HW division needs a little shake-up. I say bring Silvia back and let him fight Struve or Pat Berry.

#5 ·
I have no interest in seeing "chicken legs" back in the UFC. And let's not all be niave enough to believe this not about the money. He's even got an agent so is he trying to say his agent is doing this for fun?

So your saying Silvia only wants back in the UFC for money? Im sure thats part of it. So your telling me that if Silvia was on an FX card against Struve, Barry, or Hunt that you are not the least bit interested? Im not a Silvia fan, but I think it would be interesting to see how he measures up against the UFCs new HWs. Im sure he would not be in the UFC for long.

He is still somewhat a name and could be a good way for the UFC to promote an event.

#6 ·
I still remember when Tim Sylvia fought Ray Mercer.

In the beginning Sylvia and his management said it would be a fight without kicks. At the last second they changed the rules and kicks were allowed and Ray Mercer was PO'ed.

Fight begins, first thing Sylvia does is kick Ray Mercer in the leg.

Ray Mercer gets PO'ed and KO's Sylvia with a big right hand.

Its not often you see karma strike that quickly?

Sylvia never seems able to get himself into shape for his fights. He always sets a slow and boring pace and lumbers around one-dimensionally looking like an old person moving around the octagon without their cane.

I hope the UFC doesn't let him fight, I don't think he belongs there. Even heavyweights the UFC cut would KO him in the 1st, easily.

Strikeforce and Bret Rogers is moreso on his level...

But, I think even Bret would KO him in the 1st...

#12 ·
In a sense I do feel for em, but I'll say this to him. It always looks greener on the other side. His mistake was intentional and aimed to maim the organization by joining a rival one. Had Affliction somehow thrived does one think Tim would be begging for his job back with his million dollar pay. Doubt it...

With that said I'd make him do a public apology denouncing the other orgs and then take him on his offer of zero show purse. Only bonus pays for two fights.

#16 ·
Tim is quite delusional, but I would love to see him back in the UFC. HW division is stacked rather slim past the top 7-8 fighters, it couldn't hurt.

#18 ·
Dude has (something of) a name/record, and is a freak- that's always marketable.

HW can never have enough guys in terms of injury replacements, undercard options, and whatnot.

I agree with posters saying they don't see the harm. Give a single-fight contract for a modest paycheque, and tell Timmay his UFC career as a gate-keeper is in his hands: show up in (some sort of) shape, fight your ass off, and you can keep getting paid.

If not, one-and-done, and no biggie.

This is exactly what I am saying. I dont really like the guy, but it would be interesting and if he gets KOd, even better.

#17 ·
Dude has (something of) a name/record, and is a freak- that's always marketable.

HW can never have enough guys in terms of injury replacements, undercard options, and whatnot.

I agree with posters saying they don't see the harm. Give a single-fight contract for a modest paycheque, and tell Timmay his UFC career as a gate-keeper is in his hands: show up in (some sort of) shape, fight your ass off, and you can keep getting paid.

If not, one-and-done, and no biggie.

#20 ·
It's kind of like walking into a club and your ex-girlfirend is there plus a whole bunch of other hot chicks. Your ex is all over you wanting you back, telling you she loves you, misses you and is ready to blow you in the washroom. Meanwhile you look around the room and drool over the hot babes chekcing you out. The easy thing is to take one last shot at the ex knowing that you're going to regret it in the morning. The alternative is to hit up a new babe and wait it out the few days you may have to before she gives you a taste.

Silvia is the ex-girlfriend who is willing to blow the UFC in the washroom for a chance to get back in.

I say do the smart thing and move on.

P.S. For the ladies in the forum, just switch the "chicks" for the "dudes". This is not a sexist post!

#26 ·
from memory no one liked him when he was in the UFC, he was deemed boring even when he was champ. so I can understand that UFC doesn't really want him coming back and slowing other 'more exciting' fighters from progressing, his size/power alone makes him a tough fight. I personally would rather see younger more dynamic fighters fight, even if they're not as good yet

#34 ·
And Cote has far more reason to be bitter, his three losses were against Silva (freak injury), Belcher who he was beating before getting dropped on his head (I don't want to call it lucky cause it wasn't but 999/1000 that doesn't happen) and then the hardest one the Lawler fight which he rightfully shouldn't have even participated in because of a back injury but being 0-2 in his last two fights he felt his back was against the wall. That said, he is 3-0 since then and has remained the French commentator through it all.

#31 ·
Hahahaha. As much as I find begging disgusting, I do think him vs Struve, Pat Barry or Matt Mitrione could be some interesting match ups. Particular vs Struve. I'd like to see how Sylvia deals with being the shorter fighter.

#32 ·
It honestly couldnt hurt. But I say dont give him ANY cans at all, give him a contender like Overeem or Velasquez and see how quickly they shut him up. I'll never forget when an old man in Randy Couture who weighed 40 pounds less than him dominated him for 5 rounds straight.

#33 ·
That is in my top 5 fights in the UFC. Not necessarily for the skill set of either fighter(Randy was good and all but the evolution of the sport has far surpassed him), but for the vindication Randy gave me as a fan for beating on that goof for 5 rounds. He literally vindicated all the time I had wasted watching boring Sylvia fights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.