Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

TUF 15 Discussion

18K views 204 replies 48 participants last post by  the ultimate 
#1 · (Edited)
Watching the first episode atm, Justin Lawrence, what a guy!

It sucks that Jeff Smith lost, looked like a good guy and IMO would've subbed him if it was at least 2 rounds.

#74 ·
I said it earlier in the thread and ill say it again: Marcello is vastly overrated on this forum just because he coaches Wanderlei and Shogun in BJJ. This isn't BJJ, this is MMA and Lawrence was a CLEAR favorite coming into this fight and did exactly what I expected him to do: comfortably outstrike him and eventually finish him off.
Justin Lawrence has to be the odds on favorite to win this whole thing at this point barring any injury or setback.

#75 ·
Wow, I'm eating crow.

Marcello has some of the worst stand up I've seen. He looked so awkward and stiff out there.

Lawrence on the other hand looks so fluid. It looks like he could end the fight at any moment. Also he shrugged that take down attempt by Marcello like it was nothing.

Lawrence has made me a fan and I promise not to doubt him again. Would like to see more of his ground game before I decide just how good he is.

#76 ·
It looked like Lawrence hit Marcello with the left jab a few times to get Marcello used to it & thinking it wouldn't do damage.

Then he switched it up and threw it as if it were a left jab, but it was a left hook? :confused02:

Nice set up. He looked strong and fast, good technique.

#77 ·
wow why you guys blaming the fighter for the game plan ? All i heard was team faber telling him to strike to be unpredictable and aggressive ! i just face palmed when i saw him striking! He would of won TUF just by taking guys down and subbing them his BJJ was years ahead of anyone in the house but iv seen girls punch better then him!

#79 ·
Another excellent performance by a young fighter. Everyones commenting on how bad Marcello looked, well part of the reason he looked so bad is the brilliant skills of Lawrence. This season is really stacked first season I've seen in a long time where I see potential champions coming out of it. I don't see any fighters on the show that shouldn't be there. Both fights so far have been excellent.

#80 ·
Just saw the fight now. Nice KO.

This whole "Check on the fighter to get fans" shit is starting to get on my nerves though. I thought Greg Jackson was the only one to do something like that but Cruz said it too. I never thought faking something like that was actually popular.

#81 ·
Lawrence looks like one of the brightest prospects to come from TUF in a long, long time. I think him and Jury are gonna do great things.

#83 ·
I don't blame Marcello.

Hes been fighting for a long time & has a lot of bad habits that are extremely difficult to break.

Its the same with Mayhem, Rampage and other old school fighters.

They can do the right things in sparring and training but when they step in the cage they'll revert back to their old ways.

#87 ·
Not a fan of this weeks fight. On one hand, I'm picking Jury to win and want to see him win the tournament, but on the other hand, I don't want to see Faber go 0-3 with his team. For some reason, I don't like lop sided seasons regardless of who the coaches are. I want the competition to remain competitive.

#89 ·
I still don't understand why Faber picked fighters the way he did. Iaquinta seems decent, but his record doesn't look very impressive and it seems like part of Faber's reason for picking him first was because of who he trained with.

This guy says he has been in wars and won, but with a record of 5-1-1 against probably sub par competition, it's not that much to brag about. I'm sure he said that because Jury is undefeated and has finished all of his professional fights in the first round without enduring that much, but it's speculation on how he will handle adversity in the octagon.

I'm still picking Jury to win, but I wouldn't be upset if either fighter won.

#90 ·
close fight, Al definately isn't anyone impressive, he wont make it in the UFC. Jury still has potential. Anyone else think Condit and jury are alot alike?

Anyone wanna bet 30k credits on the chiesa vs larson fight? i got 30 on chiesa

#96 ·
Wasn't to impressed with Jury I thought he was a guy that could win the show but I felt Iaquinta won every round in the fight. Jury looked very gun shy after taking a few bombs from Iaquinta who clearly had the better more powerful hands. Jury also looked content on stealing rounds with late take downs.

#97 ·
I thought Jury looked solid enough, considering Al was Faber's top pick. I could see him running through a fair bit of the house, minus perhaps the top guys. That said, I wasn't as impressed with Al as I ought to have been. Considering he was indeed a top pick, I didn't see anything about him that leads me to believe he'll win this competition. I was more impressed with Cruz's team victories, both of which were far more definitive.

I'm rooting for Team Cruz, but I don't much care for Larson, so I'll be going with Chiesa next week. Whom I actually perceive as the superior fighter anyway.

#98 ·
I thought the decision was correct. Jury backed up most of the fight without much of an offense. His take downs at the end were obviously just to score last second points rather than to finish the fight or to make something happen. He even tried it in the third, but Iaquinta managed to shrug him off. I'm not totally against the backing up strategy, but when it looks as ineffective as he made it look, it should easily hurt you on the score cards due to lack of aggression. The only significant strikes he landed were a couple of head kicks which Iaquinta took well, and Jury's leg kick attempts were very lazy in my opinion and the judges were right to score them so poorly. Easy fight to score even if it was close.

Is it just me, or was Larsen kind of a tool for getting in Chiesa's face like that, and then punching his own face?

I get intense stare downs with fighters you don't like, or when you have a rivalry with someone, but against a fighter who you have probably barely talked too in the house and otherwise haven't had a problem with? Kind of dumb, and how Larsen punched his own face after in an attempt to put fear in Chiesa, I just shook my head. Reminded me of a wannabe thug who needs his ego deflated. It was especially dumb considering Chiesa just recently lost his father, if I were set up to fight him shortly after such an event occurred, I would have at least shown my respect before and after the fight.

Maybe Larsen felt insulted knowing Faber and Cruz both think he struggles with wrestlers and how he basically is supposed to be a gimme fight for Chiesa. Kind of insulting sure, but prove them wrong in the octagon. A mean stare down and hitting yourself like an idiot won't fool anybody.

Props to Chiesa for just having a smile throughout the whole thing and just acting silly rather than giving in to Larsen's antics. That being said, I think Chiesa should take this one comfortably.

#100 ·
I thought Iaquinta won the fight.

Jury landed a backfist in the 1st that staggered Iaquinta but got caught with a right hand when he rushed in to seal the deal.

Jury also landed a big knee near the end of the second and raised his hands in the air. WTF? :)

By the third, Iaquinta had Jury's predictable patterns down and outsmarted him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.