MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Aldo: If Frankie won't come down, I'll just have to move up

View Single Post

Old 03-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ryan1522
Featherweight

Ryan1522 Is True Champion Of KnowledgeRyan1522 Is True Champion Of KnowledgeRyan1522 Is True Champion Of KnowledgeRyan1522 Is True Champion Of KnowledgeRyan1522 Is True Champion Of KnowledgeRyan1522 Is True Champion Of KnowledgeRyan1522 Is True Champion Of KnowledgeRyan1522 Is True Champion Of KnowledgeRyan1522 Is True Champion Of KnowledgeRyan1522 Is True Champion Of KnowledgeRyan1522 Is True Champion Of Knowledge
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion View Post
With Jones there's the possibility Rashad could catch him or Hendo, we don't know how Gustaffson and Davis are going to turn out either.

With Silva, he's had the fight brought to him by Chael, and Chael is an interesting fight, Vitor had the power and speed to KO him but people still believe Chael can beat Anderson.

GSP who has looked as dominant as anyone for so long now faces serious doubt, he's coming off a major surgery and he's fighting a guy whose coming to take his life and his title. We don't know how GSP will respond to the ring rust and everything.

There's a belief that all three of those guys can be beat, there's a certain guy that has a chance to beat those three.

Does anybody really, truly believe that someone at 145 has a shot at all against Aldo? People bring up the Hominick fight but let's be real Hominick's "come back" only happened because Aldo keeps cutting a disturbing amount of weight to fight at 145 and gassed, it's not like it was a competitive bout through out like Sonnen/Silva was. No one's as quick as he is at 145 and he's already trashed some of the best wrestlers in the division. He routed Florian and crushed guys like Gamburyan and Brown in the WEC.

What's more realistic? Evans or Hendo ko'ing Jones, Silva getting out-wrestled by Sonnen, GSP losing to Condit after major surgery and a lengthy lay off or someone like Erik Koch or Dustin Poirier beating Jose Aldo, Hioki has the best chance of anyone of beating Aldo but his stand up isn't on the same league and I don't think he's got the takedowns to get Aldo down and keep him there.
I don't believe that Jones, Silva, GSP, or Aldo are going to be beat in their current weight divisions anytime soon.

Like you have made the case for Rashad and Hendo beating Jones, Chael beating Anderson, and Condit GSP, I too could make cases for both Poirier and Hioki. I actually like Poirer's chances better than Hioki, but Dustin is really young and has a lot to learn.

My main point here is that saying that it's bad for Aldo to stay at FW is nonsense. Guys like GSP and Anderson have been proving their dominance over the competition for years and we, the fans, always try to hype up the next guy that is going to beat him.

The same model applies to Aldo. Someone else is always going to be the "next" guy to beat him.

Dana doesn't really want his champions vacating their titles to move up in weight because, in my eyes (and I'm sure he thinks the same), it ruins the mystique and credibility of the division if one guy clears out the division and leaves it to fight in a class above. The next title holder that wins the vacated title would be a farce in the minds of many.

Do I want to see Silva at LHW, Jones at HW and Aldo at LW? Hell yes, but I don't think Mr. White will permit it.

He was even pumping up the Anderson-GSP super fight for a while and saying if the fans want it then we will do it. I bet you marketing stepped in along with Joe Silva and gave him a big shake. If you're current champs change weight classes and lose it also ruins the mystique of the fighter.

As a fan, I don't really care about the mystique of fighters because I know everyone is beatable no matter how good they are and a loss doesn't discredit what they have done. From a business perspective though, it just doesn't make sense.

Edson Barboza
Jose Aldo
Anderson Silva
Nate Diaz
Donald Cerrone
Jon Jones
Gabriel Gonzaga
Brandon Thatch

2014 Superfight Advocate

Jones vs Silva
Ryan1522 is offline   Reply With Quote