Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

King Mo has been cut from Strikeforce

3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  kantowrestler 
#1 ·
In another devastating blow, former Strikeforce champ Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal has been released from his Strikeforce contract.

UFC president Dana White today confirmed the news to MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) but declined to comment on the release.

Following a nine-month suspension issued today by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, Lawal lashed out on Twitter, which led to his ouster.

Lawal and his reps could not be reached for comment at the time of this writing.
http://www.mmanews.com/forums/general-mma-forum/55316-ufc-president-cuts-muhammed-king-mo-lawal.html

Another blow for Strikeforce who are no doubt on their last legs. :(

#2 ·
I'm sad to see a fighter I like go, but I'm not surprised he was fired.

If you go before a commission that regulates you and your employers, then publicly call one of the members of the commission a "bitch" it seems likely that your employer would fire you.

Here's some audio for anyone who wants to hear. The exchange is at about 6:50 and is about a questionnaire. Mo didn't list this supplement or his knee injury.

#3 ·
I need to know how many other people that commissioner asked if they could read and speak English before I pass judgement. It honestly does sound kind of prejudicial if not outright racist.

#9 ·
I thought the same thing when I heard she asked that, but then reconsidered.

HOW did she ask that question? For some reason I keep hearing the race card is being thrown in. If he's being questioned by a committee and he claims he didn't know there were chemicals in his supplements, asking if he's able to understand what's written is a valid question. Does anyone know 'how' she asked him?

I liked Mo's response to the committee that he understood that it was his responsibility, but his rant afterwards probably didn't help his cause. plenty of guys get caught and don't get fired. Look at Bigfoot and most of the UFC offenders.

#10 ·
It's in the video I posted at about 6:50.

Here's some more reaction in a recent article. For the transcript part, ML is Mo and PL in the commissioner:

Muhammad ‘King Mo’ Lawal finds himself at the centre of controversy after being suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for a positive drug test following his January fight with Lorenz Larkin under the Strikeforce banner.

Lawal tested positive for a banned steroid but maintains that it must have been unintentionally ingested via one of the many over-the-counter supplements he uses. While this does happen sometimes, NSAC was not buying it. At yesterday’s meeting, the body suspended him for nine months and fined him an enormous $39,000.

So far so bad, but things were about to get worse for Lawal. He took great exception to an exchange with the NSAC chairwoman Pat Lundvall, who asked him if he was able to speak and read English fluently. Lawal took this as a racist remark and posted some angry Twitter messages in which he referred to undvall as “a bitch” and said her questions were “bullsh-t”.

“I honestly feel like Lundvall was a racist (expletive) asking me if I can read or speak English. Go on somewhere with that bull (expletive),” he wrote.

In a second post, he said “It’s funny how people are trying to say that I’m calling the commission racist. No! They aren’t. But there was one person on the panel that was out of line with the question she asked me. I found it insulting, prejudice, and a lil’ racist. I say racist from past experiences,” Lawal stated.

A few hours later, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker put out a terse statement. “Following the outcome of today’s hearing with the Nevada State Athletic Commission and his subsequent reaction, Strikeforce has released Muhammed Lawal from his contract.”

The entire affair has caused controversy. Some fans are accusing Zuffa of treating him harshly while others are divided on whether the questions from Lundvall were racist or not. Some fans are accusing Lawal of ‘playing the race card’ while others think he is being actively discriminated against on race grounds. It is a divisive issue to say the least.

Fighters Only spoke to NSAC executive Keith Kizer to get some clarification on the remarks and on the punishment handed down to Lawal, which towers over that handed to Cris ‘Cyborg’ Santos by the California State Athletic Commission. The facts of her case closely mirror those of Lawal’s.

“CSAC cannot fine more than $2500. NSAC can fine up to $250,000,” he said. “His suspension and fine is similar to other such cases in Nevada history such as Nick Rossborough, Maurice Jackson and Thiago Silva,” he said of the disparity in fines inflicted on the two Strikeforce fighters.

Regarding Lawal’s accusations of racism against Lundvall he said, “It is very common to ask respondents/defendants if they read/speak English and understood the questions on a form that contains untruthful answers, so they do not later claim they did not understand the form.

“If Mr. Lawal thought the questioning unfair, he could have asked for clarification. Again, it is quite common to ask a defendant those questions so he cannot plead ignorance as to understanding the written questions of the form.”

The questions came up in an exchange regarding the information Lawal provided on a pre-fight questionnaire issued by NSAC. Taken out of context, it seems like an unusual and offensive thing to ask someone and Lawal’s conclusion - that it was a racial slight based on his colour or his African first name - seems to have some basic in logic.

But if one follows the transcript of the conversation between Lundvall and Lawal, it seems the questions were not racist at all, but a cross between sarcastic and exhaustively precise. Consider this: Lundvall is a partner in a very highly-regarded law firm in Nevada and is described as one of the state’s top trial lawyers. See what you think of this exchange - is she being racist or is she very deliberately and carefully shutting off all Lawal’s routes of avoiding blame for the failed test?

PL: You took it some time before Christmas I assume, is that correct?

ML: Yeah, I took it before I came back from Austin Texas

PL: When did you come back from Austin Texas?

ML: The first week of December I believe

PL: So its the first week of December, you’re still taking it into December then. Did you take it after Christmas?

ML: No I didn’t take it after Christmas.

PL: So when was the last time, when did you stop taking it?

ML: I only took it for like a week… I stopped taking it as soon as the doctor said hey-

Mike Kogan, Lawal’s manager, interjecting: - he came up from Austin on the 10th -

ML - yeah so as soon as the doctor -

Kogan, interjecting: - no we came up from Austin on the 11th - we went to see the doctor… the MRI was done on the 23rd and it was done three days.. Two to three days before we went to see the doctor.. I mean after we went to see the doctor. So the 20th is when we went to see the doctor.

PL: What period of time in December did you actually take this supplement?

Kogan: Between the 11th and the 19th in that week

PL: Did you take it again after the MRI?

ML: No I didn’t take it again.

PL: What were you taking after you had seen the doctor?

ML: Orthovisc, which is some injections the doctor gave me, some anti-inflammatories…

PL: You filled out a pre-fight medical questionnaire before your fight in January did you not?

ML: Yes I did

PL: There are a couple of questions on that pre-fught questionnaire that ask you what kind of prescribed medications you were taking, do you recall that?

ML: Yes I do.

PL: You ticked ‘nothing’

ML: Well... I ticked nothing because I was there by myself, my manager wasn’t there. My manager had the whole list of everything [I was using] and he came late. So I didn’t know everything that was actually injected into my knee by my doctor.

PL: But you knew you were taking something though, right?

ML: Er.. Yes, correct.

PL: Alright. You also said you were taking some stuff over the counter at that point in time, correct?

ML: Uh, I don’t know… I only know what I put on the questionnaire…

Kogan, interjecting: - we didn’t put anything on the questionnaire - I was the one who filled out the questionnaire, I apologise. Orthovisc that he was taking was a lubricant that was administered into his knee, er…

PL: There’s no apologising for falsifying required information on the medical questionnaire. Mr Lawal, my question to you is that you signed this medical questionnaire after it was filled out did you not?

ML: I did, I did

PL: Can you understand English?

ML: Yes.

PL: Can you read English?

ML: Uh-huh.

PL: Then you knew that by signing it that the information on this medical questionnaire is supposed to be true and correct, right?

ML: Er, yes.
I don’t know about you, but to me that reads like nothing more than a comprehensive cross-examination and a carefully calculated backing of the answerer into a corner by way of forcing them to give precise answers to a number of questions, each of which forms one panel in the fence that encircles the facts.

Lundvall was not racially insulting Lawal, she was merely making it clear that unless he was illiterate or professed to be incapable of understanding English, he would have no defense to the suggestion that he had lied on the pre-fight questionnaire. Because Lawal testified that he both speaks and reads English, he cannot claim to have misunderstood the rules of the form. He can claim not to have read them, but that would be negligence on his part and would not form a valid defense.

Listen to the audio of the meeting below, read the transcript above. Lundvall pulls Lawal and Kogan to pieces - they do not make for a convincing defense team. Whichever way you cut it, Lawal or his manager have either wilfully or negligently misrepresented the facts on the pre-fight medical questionnaire. Lundvall established that beyond doubt with her careful cross-examination.

In light of that then, Lawal has not only been guilty of deliberate or negligent misinformation, he has compounded that - and the failed drug test - by going on Twitter to accuse a respected Nevada State public figure of racism. Could she have grounds for a defamation lawsuit there? I don’t know, but I do know that a company like Zuffa won’t want to be associated with anything like that. Far easier to let Lawal go.

Of course, Lawal was also tied into a big-money Strikeforce contract and with Strikeforce haemorrhaging money with every live event, purses like Lawal’s, Gegard Mousasi’s and others are burdens that Zuffa would probably love to rid themselves of.

So Zuffa’s decision to cut Lawal yesterday probably wasn’t without some financial self-interest. But the fact remains that Lawal made a grievous error of judgement in accusing Lundwall of racism. He should take some time to review the tape and transcript - preferably in the company of someone who has at least a passing experience of court and the legal environment, then he might change his viewpoint on the issue.
And here's how she acted in another case, according to Cagewriter:

It's also interesting to note that Lundvall uses the line of questioning frequently with fighters. On March 23, 2011, boxer Michael Shane Steele tested positive for an anabolic steroid. Steele, who is white, appeared before the commission on May 20, 2011, and underwent rigorous questioning from Lundvall.

According to a commission transcript, the following exchange took place between Lundvall and Steele:

Lundvall: Do you have any other information that you are willing to share with the Commission to explain why you tested positive for banned substances?

Steele: None. Only the supplements I took and what I was trying to accomplish in taking them.

Lundvall: Do you read English?

Steele: Yes, ma'am.

Lundvall: Do you understand the written word?

Steele: Yes, I believe so.
Lundvall used nearly identical language in speaking to Steele, who is white, as she did to Lawal, who is black. The point is, Lundvall wasn't talking down to Lawal or taunting him because of his race. She was trying to establish why he hadn't answered the questions truthfully.

So she's a lawyer who wants to see if there's any possible defense and she asks this same stuff of white people who don't fill out their forms correctly.

#12 ·
Strikeforce is dead, Zuffa are pure scum plain and simple there is no dignity left for fighters, its bow down and suck Danas dick ot go fight in some 2 pence promotion

My god BAMMA needs to do it, BAMMA needs to grow strong gain respect, get the support it needs get the cash from somewhere anywhere some billionaire investor please buy that promotion get the show on Sky Sports and give the best fighters in the world a place where they can compete and keep the dignity without having to suck Zuffa pipe, judge them not on if they go along to there interview, say the right world to hype up there fights or what they tweet on the social disgrace to humanity network that is tweeter, but instead on there ability to fight.

The fact that Zuffa abuse the power they hold over the MMA market, and can dismiss some of the best fighters in the world over a fcuking tweet is disgusting, what is a tweet anyway really, its a fcuking meaningless pile a random bull shit, a tweet should be taken about as seriously as a Canadian playing football.

OK the commission wants to in force some type of punishment that kind of bull shit, fair play its public I guess so let the commission to there part and regulate the consequences, now all we need if for a promotion there part and support there fcuking fighters and turn its focus on signing the best talent and not on the personal comments made by the fighters, give the best fighters a place to fcuking fight and stop trying to run there lifes and making them sign your theme tune while there force to take a mouth full of Zuffs pipe juice.

Am sorry but Zuffa are a joke they take Chung fcuking Lei into the UFC put pass up on Fedor, they drop one of the worlds top LHW's in his prime while the division besides a select few is in shambles and in process of the biggest slump in MMA history.

Its times like this where I really hope there is a Hell, please please please let there be a hell and let all the Zuffa puppets meet up there for all eternity, if there is a hell then surly Dana White has to go there, he has to how could there be any other option available to that sorry excuse of a person, no way not a chance how could heaven even exist also if Dana was a there am been very serious any plain of existence where Dana White is in existence could never be classed as heaven, so I really hope that these places exist because we all know there is only one place for Dana if these beliefs turn out to be real.

#13 ·
I wouldn't consider a division that includes Jones, Evans, Machida, Henderson, Shogun, Davis, Gustaffson, Bader, Nogueira, Nedkov and Silva a shambles.

Also, it's not ZUFFA that have decided to crush Strikeforce, it's Showtime. They're impossible to negotiate with, ZUFFA have found it impossible to work with them, so have taken the fighters they deem good fits in the UFC, that are worth the money they're demanding. The UFC don't see Fedor as a viable signing. M-1 still want ludicrous money for him, and a stupid contract, and with Fedor on a 3 fight skid before he left Strikeforce, it made no sense for them to pay him a fortune.

The UFC have offered the guys they want a contract, and it's up to them if they decide to take it or not. There's no ZUFFA 'Pipe Juice' swallowing required. Either the UFC are interested in having you fight for their organisation or not, there's no conspiracy against guys that won't bow down to every UFC demand. They pay their guys well, look after them, and try to get the best fighters in the world. I don't see where this ludicrous anti-ZUFFA bullshit comes from. I guess it's just a matter of disliking what's popular, and successful for no real reason. You might not like Dana, but get over it, the organisation he works for are the best Mixed Martial Arts company in the world, and not the corrupt monopoly you make them out to be.

#14 ·
The are a corrupt Monopoly they are No.1 in the world right now without doubt becasue they destroyed the competition, SF seemed to have no worries before Zuffa was involved, who can blame them for been pissed at the sell out, they have taken so much away from that promotion and given it nothing, maybe its Zuffa who are the ones that are impossible to deal with.

Hopefully when The SF deal is up and seriously who really cares about the GP even anymore since Zuffa dug its claws and ruined that one, I just hope Showtime give some other promotion a chance to give fan a great MMA show or create there own.

#15 ·
Commissioners response :

“I was not upset, and I never considered it to be derogatory. What I was doing was laying the classic or standard foundation for the gentleman to make sure that he understood the form that he was signing, that it was designed to be a truthful statement and that the information he was supposed to put on the form was supposed to be true and correct… From my perspective, I’ve used that standard line of questioning for each and every athlete that has come before us, when their candor on their pre-fight questionnaire has been an issue. On occasion, we do have fighters that come before us, that have indicated their trainers or maybe someone who was with them at the time or a manager has filled out the form — that they don’t read English, that they don’t understand English, which maybe a second or a third language for them. What we try to do is to ensure that, if we’re going to be taking that into account, that they do understand what it is that they’re signing and that they have read it.”
Source

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.