Votes: 2 1.7%
Status
Not open for further replies.

***OFFICIAL*** Jon Jones (c) vs. Rashad Evans Pre/Post Fight Discussion Thread

29K views 321 replies 98 participants last post by  SpoKen 
#1 · (Edited)
Lightheavyweight bout (205 pounds)
For the UFC Lightheavyweight championship

Please direct all threads/posts regarding this fight into this official thread. All other threads will be merged into this one.

See less See more
#5 ·
Rashad just happens to be next in line as "no no... this is the guy that takes Jones down". It's unfortunate for him, but he's just next in line to get schooled.

Jones is truly on a level the UFC has yet to see. Rashad is simply the latest victim.

And for the record, I like Rashad Evans.

#7 ·
I dont know, Jones is looking unstoppable but Rashad truly does bring a different type of fight than Jones' last three opponents. And its the type of fight that wins.

In his last two fights, Evans has impressed me. I've never been impressed by Evans, I wasn't impressed when he KO'd Liddell and I wasn't surprised when Machida tooled him, but I see a revamped fighter.

Rashad mixes it up, he's patient, he's in the best physical form yet and he seems resiliant to Jones' prefight smoke and mirrors. He's got the wrestling, he hits hard and moves well, and neutralised a very good, large grappler in Davis.

I think with the right frame of mind and right gameplan, Evans can outpoint Jones. UD would be the safest bet based on Evans' last fight but Jones is used to dominating, dont be surprised to see him unravel under pressure and give Evans a late stoppage.

Evans is a big underdog here but he knows too much about Jones and his camp for me to resist these crazy odds, and he's looked great lately.

#40 ·
I like this post, some great stuff right there!

I'm leaning towards Evans here, let's hope he can stop Jones and shake up the LHW division. Evans via hard fought decision.:thumbsup:

#12 ·
This lad is intelligent ^

Rashad via late stoppage or some type of decision, depending on how much Jones can take. I know Rashad can take whatever Jones can dish out, not so sure the same can be said the other way around.

War Rashad.
So could Shogun and Machida...they just didn't want to! (Right!)

#13 ·
One thing i think Rashad has going for him is Jones striking hasnt been refined to the point of it being precise and deadly. If this fight happens in a couple of years Rashad has almost no chance

Obviously the question is can Rashad take Jones down and vice-versa. Conventional wisdom would say they will probably cancel eachother out and if anything Jones has the advantage with his Physical gifts

At first i thought Rashads only chance was to edge a decision, but my prediction was Jones to find his way to a GSP-esque decision

Now i believe Rashads best chance is to catch Jones trying to hard to prove himself and catching him with that big right. Granted he hasnt landed it much lately and Jones defence is sound, but that doesnt mean it cant happen

I hope Rashad knocks him out, but i see a Jones decision and an anti-climax of a fight - hope im wrong!

#16 ·
I can't wait to see Rashad take JBJ down then dish out some of his own medicine. Like I said this is the one and only time I'm rooting for Rashad.

Very curious to see if it'll go all five rounds.

JBJ can not rely on his takedowns anymore. He takes everybody down eventually. I think Rashad will frustrate JBJ grinding out a UD. This is his moment to prove to himself what he's made of.

#17 ·
I don't even know what to say.. May the best man on that particular night win. I don't see either fighter being broken mentally. I expect both fighters to fight their heart out and leave it all in the octagon. Seems to be more than a title on the line at this point.

#18 ·
I hope Rashad wins because I can't stand Jones.

But nothing in my head tells me to go against Jones at the moment. He's, simply put, on fire.

#19 ·
So I watched the primetime special the other day, and it really gave me a new perspective on things. When I saw Rashad keep showing up in the ring after Jon's fights, I remember thinking to myself "Man, what a dick. Can't he just let him have this moment?" After hearing his side of things though, I really felt for him. It's gotta be tough watching that all unfold from the sidelines.

That being said, I'm still pulling for Jones to win just because I want to see another really dominant champion in the UFC, and if he keeps up this winning streak, I wanna see him move up to heavyweight eventually.

#35 ·
Jones Fan predicts the fight

I see this fight going something like this:

Round 1. Evans starts briskly until he comes face to fist with that huge Jones reach. The Jones kicks to Evans lead knee slow him down and Jones takes the fist round

Round 2. Evans comes out and attempts a takedown - Even if he's successful, he doesn't hold control for long, especially after Jones starts landing elbows to the top of Evans head and face. Jones starts to loosen up and lands a couple more kicks and maybe a spinning elbow. Round 2 to Jones

Round 3. It's about now that Evans will realize that Jones the man is more than he can handle and he'll either attempt to launch a go-for-broke attack or (as I suspect) he'll become very defensive and try to go to a decision. Unless he's VERY lucky, the go-for-broke attack will allow Jones to take Evans down where he will be sliced open by Jones' elbows. If he tries to hide for the remainder of the fight, it will simply take longer.

Prediction - TKO win to Jones due to doctors stoppage in the third/fourth round.

I just don't see that the 5'11" tall, 75" reach of Evans is going to give Jones much trouble. If Jones doesn't win via Doctors stoppage, he chokes him out.

Just because I'm a big fan of Jones, it doesn't mean I'm not right!

#36 ·
I see this fight going something like this:

Round 1. Evans starts briskly until he comes face to fist with that huge Jones reach. The Jones kicks to Evans lead knee slow him down and Jones takes the fist round

Round 2. Evans comes out and attempts a takedown - Even if he's successful, he doesn't hold control for long, especially after Jones starts landing elbows to the top of Evans head and face. Jones starts to loosen up and lands a couple more kicks and maybe a spinning elbow. Round 2 to Jones

Round 3. It's about now that Evans will realize that Jones the man is more than he can handle and he'll either attempt to launch a go-for-broke attack or (as I suspect) he'll become very defensive and try to go to a decision. Unless he's VERY lucky, the go-for-broke attack will allow Jones to take Evans down where he will be sliced open by Jones' elbows. If he tries to hide for the remainder of the fight, it will simply take longer.

Prediction - TKO win to Jones due to doctors stoppage in the third/fourth round.

I just don't see that the 5'11" tall, 75" reach of Evans is going to give Jones much trouble. If Jones doesn't win via Doctors stoppage, he chokes him out.

Just because I'm a big fan of Jones, it doesn't mean I'm not right!
Oh be quiet, man. Another one of those year old 'mma fan' who thinks they know how a fight is going to go because one guy happens to have a bigger reach than the other. Gimme a fuckin' break :confused05:

#39 ·
And you are more than probably right... But as you have eloquently demonstrated, you don't have to a drunken West Ham supporter to make your point.

I think that Jones is so domanant at 205 that predicting the winner isn't a challenge

But thanks for the clarification

#41 ·
I have a strong feeling that Greg Jackson is going to have a great plan put together for Bones to deal with Rashad. Jackson is hated by some, but is fantastic at implementing great strategies for his fighters to stick by in big time fights that have seen huge success. This fight is no different, especially since Greg is very familiar with Rashad and should understand his weaknesses better than almost anyone.

Oh, and Jones is the most promising fighter at his age ever.

Jones by KO or TKO round 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.