Votes: 2 1.7%
Status
Not open for further replies.

***OFFICIAL*** Jon Jones (c) vs. Rashad Evans Pre/Post Fight Discussion Thread

29K views 321 replies 98 participants last post by  SpoKen 
#1 · (Edited)
Lightheavyweight bout (205 pounds)
For the UFC Lightheavyweight championship

Please direct all threads/posts regarding this fight into this official thread. All other threads will be merged into this one.

See less See more
#88 ·
Rashad has sparred with Jones many times before, that is a huge advantage. He knows the reach of Jones and won't make the mistake of trying to land overhand rights while Jones has his hand in your face and his head tilted way back, you are never landing that punch on Jones.

Jones has pretty much had target practice with guys standing in front of him waiting for him to make a mistake and land a big punch(except Machida), Rashad won't make the same mistake, you can tell by the video of him recognizing this mistake while watching the Rampage fight. Rashad has been practicing with Tyrone, I doubt he goes head hunting Jones, he will circle him like Machida did and chop him down to the body and occasional leg kicks and bring that head down little by little, while also going for takedowns.

Jones is still the favorite in this fight, but most of his previous fighters had the monumental task of having to land a big bomb while going in and out, they were all freaked out of staying in clinching range with Jones, and freaked out of throwing leg kicks; Rashad on the other hand will welcome getting in a wrestling match with Jones but will probably still be reluctant to throw leg kicks, but so should Jones. For all of Phil Davis' standing up weakness, he is a powerful, powerful wrestler and Rashad was able to neutralize his wrestling, I am sure he will be able to do the same with Jones. If Rashad was able to put his ass on the ground a couple of years ago, he will be able to put his ass on the ground on Saturday.

#94 · (Edited)
Yeah, they have both improved without a doubt. I'm kind of neutral on this fight and have the diplomatic answer of saying "I could see it going either way".

The only problem I have is someone using the "Rashad used to sometimes out spar and out grapple Jones in training" argument as a deciding factor for them on predicting this fight. Same thing visa versa, depending on who you talk too.

I know I can't compare myself to them, but the analogy works. I used to get out grappled by certain people all the time. I really had no chance because I still had a lot to learn and had to accept my place at the time. Now my grappling has improved a lot, or at least a lot since then. I wouldn't say I'm anything special, but I could decisively out grapple those same people who have also improved. (While some are still able to out grapple me) What I'm saying is, because someone was better than someone 1-2 years ago, it doesn't mean they will always have that persons number. It can in some situations, but we all improve at different speeds and to think you will always be in someones head because of the past, or to think a guy will always get beat by another guy because you watched him get owned a few years ago is being naive. It's something to look at, I'm not disputing that, but I wouldn't use it as a strong point in your argument.

That being said, I'm not implying that's the case here or even that Rashad or Jones think that. I just don't like seeing this argument being highly used to support either guys case of winning. What happened in the past in TRAINING doesn't matter anymore. These guys are professionals and some of the best fighters in the world who probably won't let a trivial thing get inside their head when fight time comes. Most of us are different animals inside the cage than we are inside the gym as well.

Anyways, both guys have improved tremendously since then so expect to see a completely different result either way. Picking a winner is hard for me, which makes this fight that much more exciting to see.

#95 ·
I don't expect Rashad to abuse Jones on the ground, but I do expect him to be able to take him down. Jones has improved in his standup, but his wrestling has stayed the same in my opinion. The added dimension of Jones being tentative of throwing leg kicks for fear of being taken down is a possibility.

Jones has been quoted as saying that he has seen Rashad lose a bit of explosiveness in his double leg takedowns, and that he is not what he used to be in that regard, but I believe Rashad has been going all out on his wrestling and will certainly be shooting for takedowns relentlessly. I am pretty sure that Rashad used the double leg takedown effectively against Jones because I can definitely see a shorter, stockier fighter being able to take those skinny legs of Jones from under him when timed properly and explosively.

#97 ·
Rashad is at his physical peak. Jon Jones is still mentally fragile and unproven off his back. Can't wait to see his deer in headlights expression when he realizes that god wont help him up.
Mentally fragile? Wow... he's about the most composed fighter in the UFC. Ever.

Unproven off his back? He's the champ, so what does that tell you? I read it as he's pretty tough to put on his back. Plus every time he's been asked to 'prove' something it's been delivered.

And I can't wait to see Rashad's grandpa-taking-a-nap look once he's out cold. It'll be a hoot.

#98 ·
I'm so pumped for this fight. I'm tired of the "Rashad is a victim stuff" so I hope Jones kick his ass. I'll be rootin' for him all the way. I'm expecting a war and I hope they both bring their A games. Great main event.

#104 · (Edited)
I think more or less the point of incline in Rashads career towards this fight was when he moved to Blackzillians, not when he lost to Madhida.

After his Machida loss, Rashad was pretty much going the way of GSP abandoning is quick, explosive stand-up and wrestling his way to a victory. However, after his transition to his new camp, I think it's safe to say that we have seen a Rashad 2.0. He is much more of a complete fighter, he uses his speed more effectively, his defense is better, and he is stronger.

While I don't think Rashad will win, I do think he will expose Jon Jones's weaknesses to the rest of the LHW division, the same way Shogun exposed Machida. Only after then will we be able to see how good Jon Jones really is and what he's really made of.

#107 ·
Rashad has several things going for him.

3.) The obvious history
2.) Pent up anger and blind rage. Sometimes it nullifies good judgement and can be detrimental, other times it can give one ---->
1.) Confidence and he aint scared AT ALL. He wants to hurt JBJ...badly.
*Notice the look of disgust when he sees JBJ weighing in...lolz! I know that look.

This fight will be finished one way or another. Get ready folks for round two down the road cuz this fight won't settle anything...too much bad blood.

*Note* Forgot Makdessi and Njokuani were on this card. Should be bad ass!

#119 ·
Allow me to answer for the man. If Jon Jones wins he will engage in a tantrum the likes of which we haven't seen...since the last time Jon Jones finished a legend. If by some miracle Jon Jones loses, TDK will engage in a victory tantrum that will lead to his expulsion from the board. I like to think of tonight as a win/win. Either or Dark Knight will be emasculated and that just fills me with a sense of warmth. Not to be confused with the warmth that Rashad will feel when he is choked out, or the warmth of TDK bladder expelling his urine in his pants upon seeing his hero and sexual surrogate lose, but the warmth of Karma, sweet Karma.

namaste.

#122 ·
CMON RASHAD!

It's weird I'm really coming round to Jon jones as a person. Still, it's gotta be shads time to shine, Jones is gonna rule the division for years to come and I'm hoping & praying he can pull up the upset of the year right here tonight!

AHHHHH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.