Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Overeem Breaks Silence | Confident He Will Face JDS At UFC 146

3K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  Ape City 
#1 ·
By Lewis Mckeever:
With the recent alarming news of Alistair Overeem’s run in with PED troubles, anarchy has plagued the MMA sphere and “The Demolition Man” had remained as quiet as a church mouse. Until now. The enigmatic heavyweight broke his long awaited silence on the recent episode of “MMA uncensored live”. The Reem had assertive words to say:

“I am bigger, I am stronger, I am better in the stand-up and I’m better on the ground. So for me, I don’t think about what he is going to do to me. I think about what I am going to do to him and I am only thinking about what I am going to do to him. I am going to be ready wherever the fight takes me. I do prefer to strike, I do prefer a knockout over a submission win but I’m going to be ready for anything.”

“You know I’m strong, I’m fast, I feel good. I’m going to get this guy, I’m going to beat him. Nothing scares me about Junior dos Santos. Everything he’s doing, I’ve seen it before. I’m not worried about it, I’ve experienced it all. There’s no fear, there’s only two things – trained and untrained and when I step into the octagon on May 26 I’m going to be trained. “

Refusing to declare a statement on his failed drug test, Alistair Overeem’s segment on MMA live was rather anti-climactic. Overeem however, clearly feels confident that his long awaited showdown with Junior Dos Santos will eventually come to fruition, conversing on MMA live as if there were no PED concerns to even discuss.

Even if the Overeem/Junior Dos Santos bout is signed on the dotted line, with the controversial outrage erupting from The Reem’s PED accusations, the life and pre-fight hype has been somewhat sucked out of the match-up.

Given the mounting controversy arising from Overeem’s legitimacy, are you still salivating at the mouth to see The Reem slug it out with Junior Dos Santos?
Don't know how this one got by me for so long.

Go MCK :thumbsup:

I think I prefer MCK the writer to MCK the arguer. That guy used to hurt my feelings :thumb02:

#4 ·
Juiced or not, I don't think Overeem will be able to block the flurry of punches Junior will be launching his way...not without those huge ass boxing gloves.

However, if he manages to win that fight somehow, I'm wondering how the UFC will try to promote an obviously juiced HW champ.

#6 ·
I don't know if he's saying this to just save face or what.

But he had a 14:1 ratio and he's a 31 year old man, if he uses the TRT argument then it's basically confirmed he's on something. I don't see how he gets licensed with all of the stuff that happened before the Lesnar fight now all of this.

#7 ·
I still think he is going to get nailed for not stating he was on something during the drug test form. If he would have said at that time that he had a steroid injection X number of days ago per doctors orders he would probably be fine. Instead I bet he answered "no I have not taken anything". The commission is not known for being nice when you don't answer the form truthfully.

I will be surprised if he gets licensed.

#9 ·
I hope this fight does happen. I used to think Overeem was a different person, seems like he has no respect for Junior's skillset. If Overeem comes in with his plodding one punch style he's getting ko'ed in the first 2 minutes. This was probably music to Junior's ears. If they just stand in front of eachother Overeem is going to sleep, Junior will move in with a straight, get out, realize Overeem's hurt, put him to sleep.

#10 ·
They're making him work hard over there at BJPENN.com it seems. That must be the fourth article posted today by our fellow MMAFer. ;)

If it's true and his defense is TRT and "my overall levels were well within the range" then having him fight would be a big joke. I kinda still want to see this fight though... so...

#13 ·
Overeem is still gonna take it. Overeem will win, and I will feel dirty for still liking him. That's how it's gonna go...my night anyways.

I started as one of you guys. Freaking out when someone gets caught cheating, dropping them off my fan list. If they weren't on my fan list I would simply assault them verbally via forum (accomplishing nothing, I am aware). Sherk and Barnett probably took most of my wrath. I'm sure some of my posts back then make me sound like a complete hypocrite, actually! I say that because I really don't care anymore.

I will start caring about ped abuse when the punishments start to mean something. I will start caring when there are not infinite loopholes. You guys remember this is the first time Overeem tested positive right? So clearly Overeem has been getting away with it for years.

Clearly Overeem has been abusing a ped of some sort and has been able to pass the tests. I'm not trying to insinuate that we should allow steroids. Rather, a stance should be taken. Either you guys who still feel outraged say something about it, the UFC adopts a much stricter policy, or their own punishments, or the athletic commisions need to enforce longer bans. What's 6 months when you only fight 3 times a year anyways? For some of these high profile guys it just means a little vacation time before the next big payday.

I'm sorry, but I decided a long time ago that if I want to remain a fan of MMA that I need to just go along for the ride and not start hating every fighter I like watching because he bent the rules. I love Wandy. I actually still love GSP. I love Overeem. I love Anderson. So I got one left that hasn't been seriously accused of being a cheater.

#14 ·
The thing is, nearly all of Overeem's success can be attributed to his size increase. Without his size he's losing to Forrest Griffin and Ryan Bader at LHW. What's the point of being a fan if that's the case, he's not even good at fighting. He's good at hiding that he used PED's. Well he was good at it.

#15 ·
The thing is, nearly all of Overeem's success can be attributed to his size increase. Without his size he's losing to Forrest Griffin and Ryan Bader at LHW. What's the point of being a fan if that's the case, he's not even good at fighting. He's good at hiding that he used PED's. Well he was good at it.
That's a pretty ridiculous statement. Just because two things happen at the same time does not me they correlate to each other. Suggesting that is almost like saying all Overeem did was take peds and go to the gym and that made him a good enough striker to win the K-1 GP.

Clearly he improved his technique over the last 5 years. It is quite silly to think he is exactly the same fighter he was 5-7 years ago in Pride. Clearly he had to evolve as a fighter as well.

Also people forget he moved up to HW. HW is clearly the thinnest division with the least amount of talent. There just are not that many athletic guys that are that big, especially because the sport is so young.

#21 ·
See, the thing is T gets transformed into E by enzymes and they only stop when the normal T/E ratio for that specific man is reached. Obviously it varies from person to person but for 99% of athletes that ratio never goes over 6:1. Now if Overeem's ratio had been 7:1 or maybe 8:1 I'd say there's a chance he's the 1% but 14:1 or 11:1 (depending on the source)... man, I find it hard to argue that he didn't inject. Personally for me this is about TRT and if he had a prescription because I think he definitely injected testosterone.

Plus there is a precedent where a cyclist had normal T and lowered E and he was still banned. That makes chances even worse.

#22 ·
See, the thing is T gets transformed into E by enzymes and they only stop when the normal T/E ratio for that specific man is reached.
I am not sure where you get that info? Every medical journal I have ever read says there is no definitive proof of where it comes from!

Obviously it varies from person to person but for 99% of athletes that ratio never goes over 6:1. Now if Overeem's ratio had been 7:1 or maybe 8:1 I'd say there's a chance he's the 1% but 14:1 or 11:1 (depending on the source)... man, I find it hard to argue that he didn't inject. Personally for me this is about TRT and if he had a prescription because I think he definitely injected testosterone.

Plus there is a precedent where a cyclist had normal T and lowered E and he was still banned. That makes chances even worse.
Yes, he was banned, but it was not because of his T:E ratio. They did a radio mass spectroscopy test and found that some of the testosterone in his body was synthetic. So he was banned because they found proof of external testosterone!

#26 ·
I have to be honest. I don't really care that Overeem uses, and I'll be thrilled if he's issued a license. I'm a fan of MMA. And I want to see great fights. Involving big names. And this fight is precisely that. I'm not a lobbyist. I'm not a politician. I'm not a tree hugging activist. And I'm not a goodie two-shoes whistle blower. I'm a fight fan, and this is a fight I've been dying to see. If it's on, it's on - and I'll be thrilled. If not, and Overeem is punished, then justice is done in that regard.

What I will not do, as a fight fan, is cry myself to sleep if and when this fight is made final. I'll jump for joy. I'll shout at the top of my lungs. I'll do a little dance. And I'll tune in for the fireworks. At the end of the day, Junior is going to smoke Allistair anyway, and that will be justice done in its own right.

I know, I know. Cheating makes a mockery of the sport. But were I to follow the wisdom of the forums, everything makes a mockery of the sport. Late stoppages. Early stoppages. Bad refereeing. Poor judging. Dana White. Smack talk. Tactical fighting. Fighting not to lose. Fighting not to get injured. Playing it safe. Playing it too violently. Too harsh a sanction. Not harsh a sanction enough. Ground work. Cutting promos. The UFC is always going to be slammed for something or someone, and so I fail to see the need to make an attempt to appease everyone. Because it isn't possible.

If your halo is on a little too tightly, then don't watch. Plain and simple :)

#29 ·
Just because you think JDS was going to ruin Reem before the scandal broke doesn't mean he will.

I'm a huge UFC fan and I just wanted a good fight, not minding which way the fight went. Now that I know Reem is severely abusing whatever he is abusing, I find him to be a disgusting example of what a major player in the UFC should be.

Fine, if Dana White wants to let him fight. LET HIM...

Just don't make it a title fight.

edit: I notice you're a big Sonnen fan. Maybe you are just more interested in an entertaining fight them a legitimate one. You are certainly welcome to have those views, but it's simply unfair for the fighters who DON'T abuse advantageous drugs.

#30 ·
For everything he uses, and I say that knowing the bare minimum fact wise, Reem's size can be his worst enemy. He can be slow. He can tire out. And when these things happen, he can be out-struck. Put him in there with a world class striker who doesn't tire out and can dance circles around him, and you've got a recipe for disaster. Junior hits just as hard as Overeem, and he does so with more speed. Allistair can catch you, but he has a more plodding pace. JDS will show the world that he is the best at HW when it comes to striking (of the UFC HWs, anyway).

Badr Hari didn't need hulking size to KO Overeem.

#32 ·
I am seriously itching for a statement at this point. I just can't imagine what they are gonna say to play it off as not a big deal. TRT seems like the obvious excuse but maybe they will just say the test was flawed or something. Then again they didn't have the "B" sample tested so that also would be an odd excuse.

Either way I hope this fight happens without any more issues. Sucks that it is tainted, but it really surprises me how many people are upset. There was never any evidence that he used a ped before, but I think we all knew it. Ken Shamrock was caught, Stephan Bonnar was caught, Sherk was caught, Vitor was caught, Sonnen was caught, and even our beloved Royce Gracie was caught. If you guys that are up in arms really hate all those guys, some of them legends, because they used at one point in their career then that's fine. But I think the people fighting this would probably have a very short list of fighters to cheer for if you include those that used in the past or haven't been caught.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.