Votes: 2 1.7%
Status
Not open for further replies.

***OFFICIAL*** Jon Jones (c) vs. Rashad Evans Pre/Post Fight Discussion Thread

29K views 321 replies 98 participants last post by  SpoKen 
#1 · (Edited)
Lightheavyweight bout (205 pounds)
For the UFC Lightheavyweight championship

Please direct all threads/posts regarding this fight into this official thread. All other threads will be merged into this one.

See less See more
#267 ·
I was hugely let down by Rashad's game plan. He had to get inside and commit to the takedowns and or body/leg kick blows, but he stayed in no mans land, and didn't commit to anything.

Jones came to jab and straight right Rashad and didn't have to adjust his game plan at any point in the fight.

#271 ·
The difference is that not everyone completely loses all rationale when it comes to their favorite fighter. It takes a certain kind of fanboyism that is comical when you hear the TKD's and BobbyCoopers leading up to fights. You try to talk a little bit of sense into them. You try to tell them that there is at least a possibility that their fighter might lose. Instead they act like a kid plugging their ears screaming "LALALALALALALA I CANT HEAR YOU!!!!"

I like Rashad. He had a chance. The way TKD talked about this fight deserves to be shoved in his face. He's a good poster when he's not talking about Rashad or Jones. But he asked for it.

#274 ·
Actually, he's not going to get mocked.

Any purposely baiting posts towards him to get him upset will be treated like any other baiting posts and will be infracted.

You can tell him he was wrong and all this, but "mocking" and purposely going after him won't be tolerated on any level, be adults.

#277 ·
I'm sure there were neg reps and trash talk going both ways (I've checked reps recently, so I know), and if there were sig bets he has to honor them, and that's where all the "he is wrong" trash talking shows, please refrain from doing such things on the board - it can only cause tension and problems.

#279 ·
We could police it that much, but then nobody would be free to express themselves, there's a fine line between debating with heat and purposely trying to find a member to bait them.

As for a conversation, anytime you want my PM box is open for anyone who has any issue, it's why I'm and others are here to help.

#281 ·
We could police it that much, but then nobody would be free to express themselves, there's a fine line between debating with heat and purposely trying to find a member to bait them.
True but if you are going to lock threads and give warnings you should follow through and double check and make sure the warning is being respected and honored by the parties involved. The last thread to be locked on this forum was on the 17th and I think the behavior picked up again on the 19th.

#283 ·
I used to LOVE Jon Jones.
Then when he got his title shot I HATED him.
Now I kind of like him again.

Evans proved he was a better fighter than I thought he was, but I'm glad he lost, doesn't seem like a man of high integrity and his showboating was really annoying. Hopefully getting beat like that will teach him some humility.

#285 ·
Great showing by Jones (Though not the most exciting)... In 368 days he has fought and beaten; Shogun, Rampage, Machida and now Rashad... That's a pretty damn impressive 12 month period :p

As for Jones vs. Hendo I am not at all excited by that fight :/ While I don't mind Hendo I'm not a huge fan of his and I don't care that much for Jones either... Will be a big headliner - It just won't feel that special for me :(

#287 ·
Interesting discussion.

I agree with Rogan: Jones really is a virtuoso in there. Part of it lies in his reach, but he also displays an enormous creativity rivaled only by Anderson Silva. Those standing shoulder strikes were crazy: the clinch is almost always a neutral position and yet Jones found a way to turn it to his advantage.

Give Rashad credit: dude has crazy confidence, regardless of the odds. Remember, this guy fought as a 5'11" heavyweight just so he could hopefully earn a spot in the UFC by getting through TUF.

It is a tricky situation right now for the UFC; Jones has beaten most every top contender, and Henderson is not perceived to be a major threat to Jones.

I don't think Jones is interested in Anderson or Chael either; Jones seems more interested in moving up a weight class, not down. Jones' next move will be interesting for sure.

#289 ·
Jones controlled this fight and landed some good shots but come on, time for Heavyweight. The size difference last night was ridiculous. Jones breaks opponents mentally but it is nothing like the Tyson effect as Joe Rogan insinuated, Tyson was nearly always undersized and won with brutal technique.

Rashad was totally confident last night but it did not take much to make him a dear in the headlights. This guy has been rocked and come back from it before, yet last night he was never actually close to being knocked out, and he turned completely defensive.

Strike with Jones, he can hit you when you cant hit him. If you attempt to counter or rush him, he sticks his fingers in your face and runs backwards. If you clinch with him, his upper body is so much bigger and stronger than every other LHW. On the ground he is a beast, Jones is one of the most impressive MMA fighters on the grond for me and he would have to utilize it more at HW.

Jones crushes opponents with size and strength. Even at a medium pace like last night, you're going to use a lot of energy just trying to overcome his physicality. He's got the biggest wingspan in UFC and walks around at a similar weight to the HW champ who does not cut, ffs Dana let the kid move up.

#290 ·
The first fight I'd like to see JBJ in HW is actually against Pat Barry, Struve, then Cain.

Pat Barry cuz he's going to leg kick him to death and has dynamite in his hands. But once it hits the ground it's game over...haha.

Struve...well that's an easy one. For once JBJ will be fighting someone taller than him with good reach.

Cain because he should take out JBJ with his relentless pace and wrestling. Cain also has wicked leg kicks.

All they gotta do is snap those legs to kill his mobility. You can't stay away from JBJ cuz he closes the gap too quickly and it's hella difficult to find your range against him when your attacking as he sticks his hands out playing keep away. So that leaves leg/mid section kicks. Cain won't be afraid to land em at will cuz he's not scared of the ground game.

Although I voted for Rashad I think I've gained a bit more respect for JBJ now. Still a self righteous and pompous fighter, albeit a physically talented one.

#291 ·
I wasn't impressed by Rashad performance. I understand Jones is a very tough guy to fight with his reach and dynamic/unique striking but when you're clearly behind in a fight there comes a point where you gotta take risks to give you're self a chance and I didn't see Rashad doing that. After he took those big elbow strikes in the second round he didn't do much at all. Almost everytime he only threw one punch barely ever trying combinations. You're not going to beat Jones by just trying to hit him with a big right from the outside well at least its very unlikely you need to get him into exchanges if you hope to catch him. Yes this might put you in danger as well but if you want to win getting Jones into exchanges and taking the fight to him is you're best chance. When Jones can stay on the outside and not have to worry about constant pressure hes in his world and can do whatever he wants with you.

Though still I'll be looking for Henderson to pull a George Forman like one punch right hand knockout to become champ at the age of 40.

#298 ·
Happy with how the fight went. Jones can't finish everyone, and Rashad does know him better than anyone. It showed that Jones has great stand-up in the sense that it puts the fear in his opponents knowing that he can catch them with anything at any moment. However, he obviously has always lacked true KO power, but he can't be perfect. Great win to add to his resume, and I'm looking forward to the Hendo fight. If he can avoid the one big hit, he should take it the ground and win from there. I thought he should have tried to take Rashad to the ground more.

#300 ·
I'm curious to see the medical suspensions after this one. That short elbow to the right side of Rashad's head did a lot of damage. I noticed his right eye was very cloudy between rounds.

Like both of these guys and was curious who would impose their game plan. Good win for Jones and no loss of face for Rashad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.