MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Stand up 101

Thread: Stand up 101
View Single Post

Old 05-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wild-T-Coyote
MMA Fanatic

Wild-T-Coyote has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Well, for my first post, perhaps my story will shed some light.....

Due to some significant life changes, like re-locating, changing jobs, getting married, homebuying, etc... I was out of the the game for a few years and really wanting back in. I knew I had a lot of work to do to get ready.

I got a couple heavy bags, a speed bag, weight bench, and floor mat and set it all up in my garage. Started practicing combinations, kicks, footwork, and ground technique. High emphasis on speed and power. Figure out your weak points and focus on bringing them up. I had to work on my hooks, for example. Got a lot of inspiration from youtube fight vids and workout vids. Watch and learn.... practice, practice, practice.

I hit the weights, and did lots of cardio, calisthenics, and core strength training. High emphasis on the physical conditioning. After about 6 months, just when I found a good local academy, I was back in fight shape and ready to rock.

Anyway, that's what worked for me, your mileage may vary. Perfect and rehearse you punch and kick technique. Invest in some good gloves, pads,and shin pads... you don't want to put yourself on the injured bench, I learned this one the hard way lol. Home practice is a great way to refine your basic technique and power, so take your time and most of all, have fun with it !!

Last edited by Wild-T-Coyote : 05-13-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Wild-T-Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote