Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Chael Sonnen would beat Anderson Silva in a kickboxing match

3K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  mmaswe82 
#1 ·
That's what he says. :)

The biggest UFC fight of 2012 is just three and a half weeks away. It takes place July 7, when Anderson Silva defends his UFC middleweight title against nemesis Chael Sonnen.

Sonnen is the biggest and most unabashed trash-talker in the UFC (or any sport, for that matter), and he's beginning to ratchet up his verbal assault on Silva as the fight draws closer. In a two-minute preview video released by the UFC, Sonnen says he'll beat Silva no matter where the fight goes:

Make it a boxing match. I'll find a way to win. Make it a kickboxing match. I'll find a way to win. I'm not gonna play a dance-off with him. But if he wants to make it a combative mansport, I'll do it. Make it a jiu-jitsu match, make it a wrestling match, make it an MMA fight. It doesn't matter. He doesn't have anything that I, as an athlete, won't conquer. I'm a competitor. I will find a way to win, like I always do.

First of all, I'd like to congratulate Sonnen for creating the new word "mansport." I'll be using that one in plenty of stories I write in the future, so I offer a hearty thanks to West Linn's best for giving me new material.

As for the rest of the quote? I have no doubt that if Sonnen would do very well in a grappling match with Silva. He's one of the best wrestlers in mixed martial arts, after all, and we all saw what Sonnen was capable of during the first fight with Silva. Sonnen is a destructive, grinding force when he puts your back against the ground.

But we also saw one of Sonnen's biggest weaknesses during the first Silva bout: His sketchy submission defense. And it wasn't just the Silva bout that exposed that weak point. Of Sonnen's 11 career losses, 8 have come by submission. Defending submissions has never been his strong suit.

Sonnen, of course, has been known to say outlandish things in the interest of hyping a fight, and this is likely more of the same. But the idea of Silva vs. Sonnen in a grappling/jiu-jitsu match is certainly an intriguing one, isn't it?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ould-beat-anderson-silva-in-a-jiu-jitsu-match

Gee I wonder if this will get much hate?

yay mansport

#4 ·
Well he did nearly put Anderson on his ass with the first punch he landed in the first fight so it's not like it's out of the realm of possibility.

Sorry Anderson, Chael won't just sit there like Leites, Okami, Vitor, and the rest of the cans you've fought.

#6 ·
This just illustrates why the Sonnen fight was so much more competitive than any of Anderson's other title defenses - Sonnen is one of the few fighters he's faced in the UFC who isn't afraid of him.

Of course Sonnen doesn't have much of a chance against Silva in a kickboxing match, and I'm sure he knows it. I'm also sure that if he had to, he'd go in there and do his level best to stand with Silva, and it would look a lot less embarrassing than Vitor (a guy who does have a chance in a kickboxing match on paper) Standing there and getting kicked in the face.

#8 ·
This is just Sonnen being confident in his abilities. He beleives he is a great fighter and he is a great fighter. Could he beat Anderson in a kickboxing match? No, and Sonnen knows that. Can Anderson beat Sonnen in a wrestling match, No. Problem is this is not a kickboxing match and Sonnen is not going into the fight to strike with Anderson and this is not a wrestling match and Anderson is not going into this fight to wrestle with Sonnen.

So it all comes down to who can impose their will.

In order for Anderson to hit Sonnen he has to get close to Sonnen. This will give Sonnen the oppertunity to get his hands on Anderson and once he does Anderson is going down.

#14 ·
I was thinking how he'd fair against wandy under a modified striking only match.

Against silva under such rules... I dunno if chael is Irish or not, but he'd get kilt. :p

Reactions: SM33
#20 ·
Im a hugeeee Chael Sonnen supporter but even i find it funny that he says "Il find a way to win" when it was Anderson Silva who was getting the sht kicked out of him and then "Found a way to win" even though he received quiet the ass beating. I mean the first round was 10-8,10-9,10-9,10-9,4 minutes- 10-9, ALL Chael, and then Anderson Silva wins. It was the BEST come from behind victory in all of MMA. I dont think il see anything that epic ever again. Good Conquered evil in the end after all seems lost just like in the movies. That fight was the real life MMA version of Rocky.

#22 ·
...I often wondered how Anderson would do in K-1 or something. Silva's Muay Thai is perhaps the best in MMA. On the feet, Sonnen would get pounced badly. Anderson is at or near the top in head & foot movement. The best in timing his strikes. The most accurate striker in UFC history. List goes on. When they meet, it's not just kickboxing. Chael's Takedowns are some of the very best. It's his greatest strength. Something that can change any outcome in a fight. Without question Chael's Takedowns pose the biggest threat to Anderson...

#29 ·
Life B Ez - how is it being best 2 out of 3 make it like the WWE? He was proposing a 3 round competition - like mma is now - with one round of kickboxing, one round of bjj, and one round of wrestling. There's really nothing WWE about that. It sounds interesting in an exhibition kind of way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.