Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Did anyone think Wanderlei won?

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  PheelGoodInc 
#1 ·
I gave Wanderlei the 1st. He landed a lot of right hands and some counter left hooks I don't think were counted. I thought he may've taken that 1st frame considering he landed the cleaner shots and may've outworked Franklin.

I definitely gave Wanderlei the 2nd.

A case could've been made for Wanderlei taking the 5th. Franklin was on his bicycle & didn't do much. Wanderlei could've stolen the round with the flurry at the end.

I doubt I'll watch it again, but those were my initial impressions.... bizarro mirror world, twilight zone-ish, though they may be... :)

#13 ·
Exactly. Rich was actually picking him apart in the 2nd rnd and I had him winning it until the flurry, so there is no way it could have been a 10-8 round.

You want a 10-8 round see Forrest vs Rampage rnd 2 or Gray Mayanrd vs Frankie Edgar 2, round 1.

You have to dominate the whole round, not 45 seconds of it.

#6 ·
hmm i always think when you get that close to finishing you should get a 10-8. It wasn't like the Wandy/Bisping fight where he simply rocked and dropped him after getting controled for the rest of the round. He was literally a few punches from finishing the fight and Franklin was completely out of it.

#7 ·
You may wish for that to happen but the reality is 10-8's are only saved for when you see a fighter get dominanted for the full round, dropped or put up no offense. I remember the Dan Hardy/Anthony Johnson fight where Dan was on his back for the whole 15 minutes just holding onto an arm and that was good enough to give him three 10-9 rounds. Rich was dropped twice in the fight in a 41 second period of time but he was able to scramble and even get to his feet with a single.

Not to take anything away from Wanderlei it was a great fight for him, but Rich clearly won that fight 49-46.

#8 ·
Nope. Had it 4 rounds to 1 for Franklin. I wouldn't call round 2 a 10-8 because Franklin was winning the round until he got hurt in the last minute. If Wanderlei hurt him closer to the beginning of the round, I'd be all for a 10-8. That wasn't the case though.

#9 ·
Nah I had it 4 to 1 Rich in the discussion thread but I did give Wanderlei the second 10-8, Wanderlei nearly had him done for.

#10 ·
I gave wand a 10-8 second and couldn't remember how the first went. I was on the fence with the fifth until Franklin hurt him at the bell, otherwise I would probably have scored that round for wand and had a draw. When it was over I had rich ahead though. I could see a possible judge scoring it a draw the hiding had been a little weird to that point, but I had Rich winning.

Sent from my Desire HD using VerticalSports.Com App

#11 ·
I only gave Wanderlei round 2. Round 5 Franklin might have been going back but he was still out landing Wandy with his jab and even dropped him at the end.

Round 3 was a 10-8 round for Franklin IMHO. I dont remember if Wandy threw more then 5 punches that round. The first 3 minutes he just stood there not throwing anything. It reminded me off round 3 in Forrest/Tito 2. So i saw Franklin picking Wandy apart and then im not certain i think thats the round he put him in a body lock and took him down and landed some good shots and Elbows. So i have 10-8 to Franklin in round 3 and i need to watch it again but i think 10-8 for Wandy in round 2, depends on how the fight was going before Rich got rocked.

Round 1 - 10-9 Franklin
Round 2 - 10-8 Wandy
Round 3 - 10-8 Franklin
Round 4 - 10-9 Franklin
Round 5 - 10-9 Franklin

Thats how i scored it. I think people might argue with me on how i scored Round 3 but i think if you guys watch it again you will see that Wandy did absolutely nothing that round. It was 90% Franklin and 10% Wandy so if that doesnt mean a 10-8 then that just stinks. You cant be stiff as a board and expect to get a 10-9.

#14 ·
Disagree with both 10-8 scores on the premise that neither fighter 100 percent dominated the round for all 5 minutes.

See examples of what I think is a 10-8 round in my post above.

And as for the OP there is no way in hell Wanderlei won that fight. He stole the 2nd round doing what Wanderlei does best, brawling.

I scored it 49-46 as all the judges did.

#12 ·
Even if the second round was a 10-8 he would have lost. Wand just needed to continue to put the pressure in the beginning of the 3rd, 4th, and especially the 5th. Everytime he pressured Rich he got the better of the exchanges except for the very last 10 seconds. Other than the fact that Wandy was pacing himself, wary of his chin or lacked conditioning he really could have pulled it off.

That right hand knocked Rich flat with his head bouncing on the canvas. Very close...old Wandy just didn't have enough in the gas tank. Really too bad cuz that was definitely vintage Wandy just like what we saw against Cung.

#17 ·
It was a 10-8 round by the book. A 10-8 is when a fighter shows superiority, which wand did in the second. But because if the way fights are scored you have to almost murder someone to get a 10-8. Imo Maynard v Edgar 2 should have been a 10-7 at least. So it depends on how your scoring system works. A 10-9 is a fairly even round where one fighter showed slightly better, as in landed a few more clean shots or got a take down something along those lines.

Sent from my Desire HD using VerticalSports.Com App

#20 ·
I love wandy.

If the judges happened to get the scoring so messed up they gave the fight to wanderlei, I'd have been okay with that. But do I really think wandy actually won the fight... At all, I mean even a little bit that the decision should have gone his way? Nah, nope, not even a chance. At the end of the fight I was really hoping cecil peoples was one of the judges.

Good fight anyways :thumbsup:

#21 ·
Whenever I watch a fighter I like, I try to be as critical with the judging as possible. I gave wandy a 10-8 in the second just to try and predict what the judges might do. Rich soundly won every other round... including the 5th. Wandy came forward but ate shots the entire time for it. Rich also put Wandy on his ass at the bell. If they had done that earlier, Rich might have been able to finish him there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.