UFC heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos (15-1 MMA, 9-0 UFC) still will rematch ex-titleholder Cain Velasquez (10-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC) in his next bout.
It just may no longer be at UFC 152 in Toronto.
Following Saturday's UFC 147 event, UFC president Dana White suggested the Sept. 22 fight date may no longer work for the heavily anticipated rematch.
"The fight will happen, but probably not in Toronto," he told FUEL TV.
UFC 152 is slated for Toronto's Air Canada Centre. Dos Santos and Velasquez were expected to headline the pay-per-view main card, which also is expected to feature welterweights B.J. Penn (16-8-2 MMA, 12-7-2 UFC) vs. Rory MacDonald (13-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC).
White first mentioned UFC 152 as a possibility for the fight earlier this month, though he maintained it was just a tentative plan.
White didn't specify a reason for the delay, though Velasquez's camp recently shot down reports of a possible broken hand for the fighter. As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com
) first reported this past week, the UFC is planning an Oct. 13 event (likely UFC 153) in Dos Santos' home country of Brazil. It's possible the title fight could end up on that card, which is expected to take place at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro.
Dos Santos and Velasquez first fought in November in the headliner of UFC on FOX 1. Dos Santos needed just 64 seconds to knock out and dethrone then-champ Velasquez in the UFC's first network-televised event.
Since then, both fought in May at UFC 146. Dos Santos made a successful title defense with a second-round TKO of Frank Mir. In the co-headliner, Velasquez scored a first-round TKO victory over Antonio Silva. After the show, White said the rematch would be next for both fighters.