MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - ***OFFICIAL*** Wanderlei Silva vs. Rich Franklin II Pre/Post Fight Discussion Thread

View Single Post

Old 06-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #120 (permalink)
osmium
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful

osmium Is Beloved By Allosmium Is Beloved By Allosmium Is Beloved By Allosmium Is Beloved By Allosmium Is Beloved By Allosmium Is Beloved By Allosmium Is Beloved By Allosmium Is Beloved By Allosmium Is Beloved By Allosmium Is Beloved By Allosmium Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflcopter View Post
Which strikers outside of Nick Diaz at the "top level" are so much better at kickboxing than guys like Stephen Thompson?

Being a good MMA fighter =/= being a good striker. A lot of guys that are good or okay at striking like Matt Brown suck at other things and therefore lose to guys like Hendricks and Koscheck who are just really good wrestlers.

And quite frankly Wanderlei has never really beaten a good striker.....who is the best one he's beat in his UFC run? Keith Jardine? A 40 year old movie star Cung Le?

Hell, even in his PRIDE days he beat Rampage before Rampage really knew how to box and was mostly just a wrestler.
I said when he got signed I didn't like the way Thompson throws punches and his boxing defense. I think a lot of guys would hand him his ass standing because of the smaller gloves and how open he is. Also this is MMA your takedown defense is essentially part of your striking ability. When you can get taken down by Matt Brown swatting at your legs it will get in your head while you are standing.

Hendricks would crush Brown standing he is slow and sloppy and has less power. Wanderlei in his prime was a better striker than Brown just based off of his explosiveness.
osmium is online now   Reply With Quote