MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Are there other Earth like planets...

View Single Post

Old 07-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
joh2141
MMA Fanatic

joh2141 will become famous soon enoughjoh2141 will become famous soon enoughjoh2141 will become famous soon enoughjoh2141 will become famous soon enoughjoh2141 will become famous soon enoughjoh2141 will become famous soon enoughjoh2141 will become famous soon enoughjoh2141 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voiceless View Post
We're actually one step closer to get in contact with possible lifeforms in outer space: Voyager 1 is about to leave our solar system these days. (Ok, it will probably need a million years to reach any other system which could contain life supporting planets, but at least now we have the proof that we can build technology to travel to outer space )

Actually the fuel should not be the problem, because the voyage is in vacuum which means there is no resistance that slows down the vessel once it has reached it's traveling speed. I just recently realized and thought about the fun fact that basically in all Sci-Fi movies you see the spaceships with their engines on while that wouldn't be necessary unless they want to change speed or direction.

Achieving a reasonable speed for interstellar travel is much more of a problem.

There are animals who are faster than 50mph with just their muscle force. People would have just needed to look at these to know that you don't die at that speed. A space shuttle when reaching orbital speed has about 7700 m/s which is about 17000 mph. It's not the speed that is dangerous, but the acceleration.
I heard the same. i'm not an expert on astrophysics but the acceleration puts on a burdening force on your body. Once you reach that speed you want to go at, it feels pretty smooth.

However, there's one thing we are all forgetting which is light speed traveling relativity. Assuming Einstein was correct in his original statement, even if we discover how to travel at the speed of light, it might take like thousands of years to get to the said planet we are trying to go to.

It's proven there are planets like Earth that possess lifeforms... but again, speed relativity. What we see in the telescopes could be something from a thousand years ago. So even if other planets out there harbored life at one point, who knows if it still exists? Earth COULD be the last one "alive."

I'd say it'll take us maybe one generation's lifetime (50-70 years) to discover how to travel into other galaxies. Remember how they promised personal jet packs by the 70s and flying De'Lorean's by 2000? Things always get delayed.
---
Did any of you read the article about how neutrinos appeared to travel faster than speed of light?
joh2141 is offline   Reply With Quote