MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - 3 things favoring Silva tonight

View Single Post

Old 07-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Calminian
Welterweight

Calminian Is True Champion Of KnowledgeCalminian Is True Champion Of KnowledgeCalminian Is True Champion Of KnowledgeCalminian Is True Champion Of KnowledgeCalminian Is True Champion Of KnowledgeCalminian Is True Champion Of KnowledgeCalminian Is True Champion Of KnowledgeCalminian Is True Champion Of KnowledgeCalminian Is True Champion Of KnowledgeCalminian Is True Champion Of KnowledgeCalminian Is True Champion Of Knowledge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec0688 View Post
1) Sonnen is a wrestler and has been cutting weight at a very young age. Don't really know why people have been saying he had a tough weight cut, it was planned for him to cut 20 pounds in a 24hour period. You don't eat coconut crusted chicken on a Thursday when have trouble making weight for the Friday.

2) Silva wasn't that badly injured to begin with, not saying his ribs didn't hurt, but if he had a severe rib injury which many seem to point out, there is no way the commission would let him fight.

3) recent performance, I can see this being a point, as Silva destroyed both Vitor/Okami. Bisping is however very underrated and he has some very good TDD.
I can't dispute any of this. I don't know squat about cutting. 20 pounds seems excessive, but if it was the plan, I suppose it's not. I also agree Bisbing is a much better opponent than Okomi and a much more difficult matchup.

If Sonnen is in top form, then his keys are pressure and turn this into a ground brawl. I think he also has to establish early that he can stand with Silva for limited periods of time. If he can hang on the feet and get takedowns, it's his fight to lose.

Silva's keys are obviously TDD, and escaping on the ground or subs off his back.
Calminian is offline   Reply With Quote