Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Weidman and Munoz: Who has the better chance against Silva?

3K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  TanyaJade 
#1 ·
Both are really good well-rounded fighters that possess a lot of skills to take it to the current middleweight champion.

Weidman (currently at 8-0 in UFC) is one of the best wrestlers and grapplers in UFC currently and has good stand up as well. Munoz (12-2) was also NCAA div.1 and has a decent ground game with some very entertaining stand up. Skills wise, these guys are even with each other going into the fight tonight.

But with Anderson, these two are far off the mark. Anderson has a black belt in BJJ, Judo and Taekwondo. He is much better on the ground, standing up and his takedown defense / wrestling has definitely improved from what I've seen in his 2nd fight with Sonnen.

The big question is who can take it to Anderson the most?

Discuss!

#4 ·
+1.

The only fights for Silva I would even want to see at MW would be Rashad, Vitor and Sonnen :))) and that is all, anyone else is not interesting to me at all.

#6 ·
No one knows more about Silva's TDD, wrestling or ground game than Mark Munoz. He beat Chael P. Sonnen in a wrestling match. Imagine what would have happened to Silva in any of their first 6 rounds if Chael could Donkykong.

Mark Munoz
My favorite fighter. Always has been.:)

#9 ·
It is intriguing.

Unlike Chael, when Munoz Donkykongs on guys from the top, he generally crushes them- "Pillow-fists", and, "Munoz" don't generally run into each other in the same sentence.

However, I can't say I've seen the same quickness/effeciency in TD's from Munoz; he doesn't seem quite as explosive to me.

#7 ·
Munoz has a punchers chance, I don't know if he's got what it takes to win though.

I don't understand the hype surrounding Weidman, he seems like another Rick Story to me.

#8 ·
Weidman for sure.

He is still relativelly new to MMA, and in his 9th pro fight his name pops up in the same sentence as other big names. And he is fighting one of the TOP 6-8 guys in the division.

Weidman seems to be a talent, and when i say this i'm reffering to the fact that he seems to learn at a fast pace. With one year BJJ experience under his belt he had a great performance against Galvao at the 2009 ADCC.

He seems to be the kind of guy who absorbs knowledge at a really fast pace and implements it in his fighting style right away.

His striking still represents a big X factor and something he needs to work on imo, but he has time to develop it.

I think he would be a big threat to Silva on the ground. His size + wrestling skills + grappling would create a very dangerous combo for Silva.
Only thing is: how would he be able to get past Spider's hands/striking in the begining and take the fight to the ground?!

I still say: Weidman - MW Champ by the end of 2013.

#13 ·
Im hoping weidmans performance against maia was just due to a bad weight cut because i was very impressed with him since his debut, icactually made a thread about him after his debut saying hes a future champ

I think this is a very tough fight but i think weidman takes it, though he would lose to AS but i do think that by the end of next year he has a great shot, he really learns things at JBJ speed...

I think munoz would put up less of a fight, he has said that its hard for him to take anderson down in training and his control on the ground is pretty poor, also his chin isnt that good...i think hes a tough fight for any1 though except AS, id be surprised if he out wrestles weidman

#14 ·
I think Chris taking the Maia fight on 11 days notice supports that theory. How can you say Mark's chin isn't good? He lost one fight by KO from a head kick that would KO just about anybody. Wrestling wise I think they are even but his Mark's heavy hands that I think will be a problem problem for Weidman.

#25 ·
Both are really good well-rounded fighters that possess a lot of skills to take it to the current middleweight champion.

Weidman (currently at 8-0 in UFC) is one of the best wrestlers and grapplers in UFC currently and has good stand up as well. Munoz (12-2) was also NCAA div.1 and has a decent ground game with some very entertaining stand up. Skills wise, these guys are even with each other going into the fight tonight.

But with Anderson, these two are far off the mark. Anderson has a black belt in BJJ, Judo and Taekwondo. He is much better on the ground, standing up and his takedown defense / wrestling has definitely improved from what I've seen in his 2nd fight with Sonnen.

The big question is who can take it to Anderson the most?

Discuss!
Weidman has good standup? I mean grappling sure, he's good at both wrestling and subs but standup?

I think it's a draw here, maybe I'm favouring Munoz a little in the fight due to experience.

I don't see any of these guys having a chance of beating Silva.

Weidman to me is alot like a MW Phil Davis, very talented overall and a successful wrestling career in the past + submission skills, but just cant seem to evolve the striking part of their game. And just like I can't see what Davis could bring to Jones ATM, I can't see what Weidman would do to Silva.

Munoz is a cool dude and a good MMA-fighter, but he's not great and I never think he will be.

#29 ·
Aderson is not getting any younger. Weidman is a big young strong MW with outstanding wrestling. If he can take Munoz down with ease then he can take Anderson down.

Anderson has been taken down by the wrestlers he has faced in Hendo and Sonnen. He was even taken down repeadidly by Lutter. Im not saying Weidman would win, but I know for sure he could take Anderson down.

#30 ·
lol yes he can take Silva down, but say he does can he win? Can he do what 2 division one wrestlers, and 1 and 1/2 Olympics members failed to do. The thing is with this Munoz fight, giving that Munoz took a some time off with injuries and CW did beat him, his last fight with Maia was close. He won UD, but at first it was a split decision. Like I said I gotta see him vs a top four because i make an assessment.

#33 ·
I don't know if Weidman could win now.

Down the road, in maybe a year or so? Absolutely.
He has evolving stand up, fantastic wrestling and is always looking for the submission. I think he needs a bit more explosiveness if he wants to take down Silva and keep him there as well as better striking defense. Once he develops those, Weidman should bring the Middleweight title back where it belongs.

I hate to rain on Weidman's parade too because he's one of my favorite fights and his preformance last night was incredible, but I've said before, as much as I like Munoz, he's just another Nate Marquardt. A guy who has beaten a slew of decent names but will always come up short against contenders in the division. He's strong, probably one of the strongest guys in the middleweight division, but his chin and MMA wrestling as we saw last night are not the make of a contender or a champion.

Great preformance by Weidman, but I want to see him fight one or two more guys before he sends Silva home in shame to his wife and family.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.