Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Sonnen's backstage reaction to the loss

5K views 36 replies 32 participants last post by  above 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Broke Silva in the first round...hmm. Silva seemed pretty calm to me and looked to be focusing on his breathing and just riding out the first round. When the round ended he got up and ran to his corner. Didn't see a hint of a broken man.

Nice to hear the other comments though.

#9 ·
If I remember correctly he actually stumbled to the wrong corner.

At best that 1st round is a display on how to use effective bjj to cancel adversary top position, another kind of display of Silva's greatness and well rounded game.
Chael had nothing to offer in the 1st except for the 1st 10 seconds.
If he really said that, he's just being looney (again).
Yea that was a real even round...

Silva landed ZERO strikes, attempting just two.

Sonnen landed 76-of-86 strikes (14-of-21 significant strikes), scored one takedown and improved position on the ground twice.

Im not going to argue Sonnen did any significant damage in the first round (because he didnt) but all this Silva nuthugging is getting ridiculous. He gets mounted and doesnt land a single punch for the entire round and thats another "display of Silva's greatness and well rounded game"?????

#6 ·
Basically Sonnen said that when he was on top of Silva in the first round he felt Silva break, and for Silva to come back from that in the second and destroy him, Chael has so much respect for Silva,stating that he's been competing in combat sports since he was 7 and he's never seen anybody comeback like that after originally being dominated.

#12 ·
Exactly what I was thinking.

How in the world did he break him this time? He did hardly nothing on top for a whole round. He should have known that ANdy is unbreakable after giving him his best for 4.5 rounds only for Silva to be UNBROKE and get the finish.

As for the other stuff? Yea, Sonnen isn't that bad of a guy. But I don't really care. I know he was selling the fight...if you say the things he said you have to be held accountable. Can't just say things for 3 years and not be looked at differently. Sort of sad that he had to go to such extremes in order to sell his fights. It isn't the WWE. If you are going to bash a guy for 3 years you have become the asshole if you really meant it or not.

Not every MMA watcher sees every interview. 80% of them only know him by what was hyped. At some point you become what you say you are even if it was a phony persona.

Personally I never cared for Sonnen's trash talk. He made me laugh a few times but I'd rather see real or at least semi-real hype and bad blood. When guys like Penn, Tito in the day, Rampage, even Mir/Lesnar talk shit or are angry it gets me a lot more hyped than a 99% fake personality. If I got that excited over fake stuff I would just watch WWE instead.

#7 ·
I wrestled in high school and I can tell you one thing. You can definitely feel someone break. Whether its a failed escape, getting taken down, or being held down. You can feel the frustration in their movement and breathing.

Sonnen probably felt something that caused him to think that, and maybe he feels like he either got over confident or decided take it easier.

#8 ·
At best that 1st round is a display on how to use effective bjj to cancel adversary top position, another kind of display of Silva's greatness and well rounded game.
Chael had nothing to offer in the 1st except for the 1st 10 seconds.
If he really said that, he's just being looney (again).

#10 ·
I listened to this yesterday in the car it was really interesting. Chael seems like a good guy and completely different than what he is when he is selling a fight.

I still can't believe the silva fans are being hard on even when he is giving silva a complement. Come on get over it guys.

#14 ·
What we see on tv is not what a fighter feels in combat, I'm not saying Chael was right but he wouldn't say that unless he felt something.

That something was probably Silva just holding on and not being offensive or not even trying to get Chael off him.

Maybe Silva felt like he had more resistance until Chael landed that elbow, afterwhich maybe Silva just went into defensive hold on mode.

In any case, what Chael said is essentially right - Silva was under Chael for 4.5 rounds last fight, and the whole of the first round. Intentional or not, Silva has unbelievable mental strength to come out that second round and finish Chael at the first opportunity that presented itself, hands down and all.

#15 ·
What we see on tv is not what a fighter feels in combat, I'm not saying Chael was right but he wouldn't say that unless he felt something.

That something was probably Silva just holding on and not being offensive or not even trying to get Chael off him.

Maybe Silva felt like he had more resistance until Chael landed that elbow, afterwhich maybe Silva just went into defensive hold on mode.

In any case, what Chael said is essentially right - Silva was under Chael for 4.5 rounds last fight, and the whole of the first round. Intentional or not, Silva has unbelievable mental strength to come out that second round and finish Chael at the first opportunity that presented itself, hands down and all.
I've just rewatched the first round again for that issue. Silva started to clench on Sonnen the moment they hit the floor (and thereby controlling his posture). The elbow doesn't make any difference in his behaviour (it isn't a hard strike anyways), but with the first fight in mind, where Silva fought back from his back with strikes, I can see Sonnen missinterpreting Silva's behaviour. While Silva is just clenching to him, controlling his posture and making his opponent wasting energy, Sonnen thinks that he has broken him mentally as he doesn't strike back like in the first fight. I don't know if that was planned by Silva, but the confusion in the second round of him comming strong and being able to stuff the TD attemps certainly played to his favour.

#17 ·
The guy is trying to give silva a complement and you guys a bashing him because you don't like the way he gave it.

Seem that just like silva his fans like to kick (or knee) a man when he is down.
Not really, only when it's a person like Chael Sonnen.
Like jonnyg4508 said, you can't just go around being a dick for years & then expect people to just be nice to you when you finally get what you deserve.

#30 ·
I think what Sonnen thought was AS breaking was actually him relaxing. During the fight you can see AS take some deep breaths and close his eyes. I can very easily see how Sonnen on top of him would feel like this man is broken. Then again shortly after Sonnen passed guard and even got to mount, so all facts during the fight would have concluded that Sonnen was right from his point of view.

I can easily see why Sonnen thought he broke him. It doesn't make it the reality of what happened, but I can see his point of view.

#31 ·
...Silva looked great off of his back this time. He maintained excellent wrist control and kept Sonnen stuck in his halfguard almost the entire round. When Chael mounted him, he still couldn't land anything but a few punches. Outstanding ground defense by Anderson. He rode out the 1st rd. storm. One thing is certain and without question, Sonnen got in Silva's head bigtime, taking him out of his game and not giving him a chance to get off. If anyone breaks, they can tap. Anderson has some incredible heart. No more proving that...

#32 · (Edited)
Silva was broken after the first round!!!!!! ?????????

You have to be kidding me. He didn't get hit, didn't get elbowed, didn't get pounded. There was no Ground and Pound by Sonnen. Just a whole lot of Ground.
I think too much credit is being given to these wrestlers for being on top and doing nothing.
It's supposed to be Ground and Pound ie: Vintage Tito. But these modern wrestlers are happy with abandoning the Pound and just doing Ground. Someone needs to tell MMA Judges that laying on top of someone is not a legitimate fighting style. It's more of a Kama Sutra Style.

So yeah, if Silva was broken, it was only because he was incredibly uncomfortable having another Man force himself to lay on top of him and do nothing other than push his crotch into Silvas.

Honestly, that would break me too. That would break me into tears, much like the "Crying Game".

If you aren't willing to fight, get out of the cage. Make no mistake, I have no problem with active ground games, like Guida and plenty of others. But I am sick and tired of collegiate style wrestlers that have this perfect balance of Skill and Non-Skill. Where they are just skilled enough to hold you down, but not skilled enough to do anything about it. So they hold you down and throw weak non fight ending rabbit punches to score points. Yippee!

To be honest, I am not as upset with them, as I am with the Judges that reward it and the Refs that don't stand them back up when clearly, there is nothing going on and they are at a "Fighting" Stale mate.

#35 ·
Silva was broken after the first round!!!!!! ?????????

You have to be kidding me. He didn't get hit, didn't get elbowed, didn't get pounded. There was no Ground and Pound by Sonnen. Just a whole lot of Ground.
I think too much credit is being given to these wrestlers for being on top and doing nothing.
It's supposed to be Ground and Pound ie: Vintage Tito. But these modern wrestlers are happy with abandoning the Pound and just doing Ground. Someone needs to tell MMA Judges that laying on top of someone is not a legitimate fighting style. It's more of a Kama Sutra Style.

So yeah, if Silva was broken, it was only because he was incredibly uncomfortable having another Man force himself to lay on top of him and do nothing other than push his crotch into Silvas.

Honestly, that would break me too. That would break me into tears, much like the "Crying Game".

If you aren't willing to fight, get out of the cage. Make no mistake, I have no problem with active ground games, like Guida and plenty of others. But I am sick and tired of collegiate style wrestlers that have this perfect balance of Skill and Non-Skill. Where they are just skilled enough to hold you down, but not skilled enough to do anything about it. So they hold you down and throw weak non fight ending rabbit punches to score points. Yippee!

To be honest, I am not as upset with them, as I am with the Judges that reward it and the Refs that don't stand them back up when clearly, there is nothing going on and they are at a "Fighting" Stale mate.
Truth be told! Nice post.

...Silva looked great off of his back this time. He maintained excellent wrist control and kept Sonnen stuck in his halfguard almost the entire round. When Chael mounted him, he still couldn't land anything but a few punches. Outstanding ground defense by Anderson. He rode out the 1st rd. storm. One thing is certain and without question, Sonnen got in Silva's head bigtime, taking him out of his game and not giving him a chance to get off. If anyone breaks, they can tap. Anderson has some incredible heart. No more proving that...
Yep he had good wrist control preventing Chael from landing any significant shots. Chael threw a couple of good shots, an elbow near the back of the head, and one BIG cross that Anderson dodged. Other than that Anderson wasn't in danger til possibily in the end when Chael mounted. Anderson is a tactician and master strategist.

Lol. Reminds me of street fighter 4. I'll play against dude who beat me in the first round and they got it int the bag. Then I'll come back in the second with a plan to destroy n kill.
Excellent analogy. Everybody always cries when they lose and say "that was luck or in this case you cheated...wahh...wahhh."

Reactions: BrutalKO
#34 ·
Everyone that is moaning that Sonnen went to far and talked too much trash must have missed the newsflash.........Hello!...Silva would not take the fight. Even when Sonnen and Dana went to Brazil for the press conference...Silva had not taken the fight yet. It was a tactic by Dana and Sonnen to force Silva to take the fight. He insulted Brazil knowing that the Brazilians would help fuel the fire and for Andy to take the fight. It worked. What surprised me was...Andy really thought he might lose this fight. Did you see how emotional Andy and his guys were, and Silva's kids came into the octagon and everyone crying and emotional. Andy actually knew that he just might lose that belt. It was a enormous relief when the fight was over. Never seen anything like that in any of Andys fights.
I didnt think Andy broke either. Sonnen didnt really land anything hard. He got the full mount and didnt posture up and finish the fight. Even my wife was yelling at the tv because sonnen got the full mount and didnt do anything with it. that is all

#36 ·
Silva did look like he gave up on the first round, and decided to save his energy and just make it to the second round with as little damage as possible.

You can see Silva's concern when he was walking to his corner at the end of the first round. Silva showed immense mental control in this last fight, instead of panicking and going the, "I will KO this wrestler before he takes me down route", he changed plans and went to a very methodical approach to keep the fight standing with his grappling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.