MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Significant Changes In The Unified Rules Of MMA

View Single Post

Old 07-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Sports_Nerd
Featherweight

Sports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level nowSports_Nerd is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOMDC View Post
Yup. All I took from it is that even more weight will be given to wrestling. Question for everyone:

Fighter A & B start the first round.

After around a minute of feel out with no significant strikes landed fighter A starts to find his range and lands a couple good jabs and say 2 straight counters.

Realizing that he is losing on the feet, fighter B shoots in for a TD around 2:00 in and is stuffed.

Fighter A starts getting more aggressive and lands a multi punch combo. Fighter B tries to circle out but is caught with power shot and is staggered.

Fighter B goes in for a TD at 2:30 in and gets it.

Fighter B stays in guard landing say 10-15 arm punches.

There are a few sub attempts with fighter A trying to get a high guard but nothing close and fighter B finishes the round on top staying heavy and avoiding any sweeps, completely controlling the position.

Who wins that round?

I would think Fighter A based on the 2:30 minutes of standing control and landing the only significant strikes on the feet. However, I think a majority of judges would give it to B. How would you score and what do you think an average MMA judge would score it.
Well, that's an interesting question, exactly half a round lopsided in favor of the striker (Fighter A) and half in favor of the grappler (Fighter B.) I think the answer depends on a couple of things:

1. Did fighter A hurt the other with any of his strikes? Were there any moments of wobbliness, did fighter B have to clinch for dear life at any point, that sort of thing.

2. What kind of offense did fighter B generate in the stand up? Even if he only landed a few mildly effective strikes it suddenly isn't so lopsided.

As it is, your scenario sounds like a 10-10 round, but if I had to pick a winner assuming no truly significant strikes landed I'd have to go with fighter B. Because if nothing else, fighter B gained a tactical advantage going forward by forcing his opponent to expend more energy.
Sports_Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote