MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Facts, effects and myths about guns in the USA

View Single Post

Old 07-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Voiceless
Middleweight

Voiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeberus View Post
There are also laws against as you said second hand smoke by designating where you can smoke, still 40,000 deaths a year from it. How about drunk driving?

According to these people: http://dui.lifetips.com/cat/61352/dr...ats/index.html

Around 16,000 die from drunk drivers every year, that's like 30% more than the from guns and it includes innocent families driving home from grandmas house.
Driving drunk is forbidden.

Quote:
The difference is that there are no upsides to all these other ways of death. Where as statistics shows responsible gun owners use these guns to protect themselves and stop crime and that happens 24/25 times. There might be a case for guns to be made illegal if they simply weren't so much more beneficial than dangerous. With guns made illegal there would be more deaths, more crime and few ways to protect yourself.
I'm not even sure if that's true. In Germany or France and most of Europe, you don't have more deaths or more crimes, even though guns are pretty illegal (with few exceptions) and for criminals it's not hard to get guns on the black market.

I'm not arguing for or against banning guns. I just think that the "the more guns are around, the safer it is" argument isn't valid.