MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Facts, effects and myths about guns in the USA

View Single Post

Old 07-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
xeberus
The Forum Drunk

xeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voiceless View Post
Driving drunk is forbidden.

I'm not even sure if that's true. In Germany or France and most of Europe, you don't have more deaths or more crimes, even though guns are pretty illegal (with few exceptions) and for criminals it's not hard to get guns on the black market.

I'm not arguing for or against banning guns. I just think that the "the more guns are around, the safer it is" argument isn't valid.
As is shooting people most of the time.

It might not be true in europe, but it is in america. Sadly its become such a point of interest there are tons of studies done about just this sort of thing. One book titled "More guns, Less crime" came out in the late 90s. John Lott, wrote it and it was full of the most rigorously comprehensive data analysis ever conducted on crime statistics and gun laws. It brought to light tons of common misconceptions about the relationship of guns, crime, and violence. Its for these very reasons guns are still so prevalent here in America, the hard evidence suggests guns are not the cause of crime or violence and actually quite the opposite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_Guns,_Less_Crime

Personally I think guns are fine under a set of rules. There are some guns I feel should be more heavily regulated than they are today. Those kinds of guns are the high capacity hand guns and rifles.

If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Sig by D.P.

xeberus is offline   Reply With Quote