MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - UFC Fighting / Weigh-in Weight Disparity

View Single Post

Old 08-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Drogo
Lightweight

Drogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellianenko View Post
Completely agree, I've always been a fan of same day 1 hour before fight weigh ins.

For the .01% fighters in these divs that are actually cutting more than 10% weight, GOOD, force them to actually fight in the class they belong in instead of taking diuretics and beating up little kids. And for guys like Edgar that fight above their weight class, also good for their own safety and careers.

That is exactly what weight classes were for, this "you can steam it, it's legal" is a mockery of the spirit of weight classes and horrible for fighter health.
I don't think it is .01% of fighters cutting more than 10%, I think a LOT of fighters that would fall into that category which is why I've changed my position on weight cutting. I felt it was something both fighters could do so there is no advantage. That is still true but fighters are cutting more and more weight to the point where it is starting to become dangerous.

It needs to be limited. If we are going to limit it, we get into some absurd situations trying to regulate that. i.e. If we cap it at 7% of body weight then we'll get all kinds of issues determining what a fighter's "normal" body weight is and therefore how much they can cut. Let's just go to one hour weigh ins and essentially say "no cutting weight".

I like your idea of fines related to how much you miss weight by. That way we don't have to worry about cancelling fights, we can just fine the crap out of dudes if they come in way over the limit.
Drogo is offline   Reply With Quote