Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

UFC 150 results: I'm glad *SPOILERS*

7K views 104 replies 44 participants last post by  Purgetheweak 
#1 ·
There are only three places in life where a person's every action must be clear and obvious to even the stupidest observer: Junior High School, prison and mixed martial arts.

Those three environments do not tolerate nuance, subtlety, or irony. Those three audiences are not enamored of obfuscation, small strokes or fine calibration.

Nope, if you're in the pen, Middle School or the Octagon, the audience demands big, bold obvious gestures that cannot be misinterpreted.

Perhaps former UFC Lightweight champion Frankie Edgar has finally learned that lesson after dropping a decision loss to current champ Ben Henderson at UFC 150 last night in Denver. While a considerable majority of the fight cognoscenti who took to Twitter, Facebook and the Bloody Elbow comment section to voice their opinions thought Edgar won his rematch with Henderson, 2/3 of the judges didn't see things that way and Frankie lost the fight.

Good.

Frankie Edgar, skilled and capable as he is, has been boring the daylights out of the Lightweight division since taking the belt from B.J. Penn at UFC 112 in April 2010. Apparently he's been laboring under the misapprehension that fans and judges appreciate his elegant point-fighting style.

Alas Mr. Edgar we do not.

MMA fans thirst for clear conclusions. We want definitive answers, not 50 shades of Frankie Edgar. With the exception of his second title bout with Gray Maynard, every single Frankie Edgar LW title fight has left its outcome to the judges to decide and the fans to debate.

Heed the call Frankie, move on down to Featherweight where maybe you'll have the heft and muscle to force a stoppage on opponents instead of sending it to the judges.

I'm so looking forward to seeing Ben Henderson defend his title against Nate Diaz. I'm even happier that I don't have to worry about whatever skilled, subtle and nuanced approach Frankie Edgar would take to sucking all the fun out of Diaz' Stockton Brawl style and making sure the judges have a hard decision to render.

Good luck at Featherweight Frankie, fans of the Lightweight division won't miss you.
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/8/1...lts-im-glad-frankie-edgar-got-robbed#comments

Felt that this article deserved it's own thread. I agree with every single word, I'm also glad Frankie got robbed.

Boring points fighter.

#3 ·
Boring points fighter.
There were 2 combatants. Most of the fight was on the feet so it's not like Frankie was laying on him. Frankie threw more punches, more kicks and dropped Henderson. He got closer to finishing Benson than the other way around. How come his a boring points fighter based on this peformance? :confused02:

Not debating whether he won or lose.

#4 ·
I had it like this...

1 - Bendo
2 - Edgar
3 - Draw...always goes to champ for the most part
4 - Edgar
5 - Close as well...had it going to Bendo.

As a champ, you get the benefit of close rounds because if the challenger keeps it close enough to where you are questioning who won the round, it will go to the champ more times than not.

Neither fighter did enough to steal rounds besides rounds 1 and 2. I could have seen Edgar winning it and I wound have been fine with that, and I also could have seen Bendo winning it and I am happier with that result.

I don't like watching Edgar in particular because I just find him boring. I hope he drops down, as it is his natural weight class, and he will have a easier time finishing fights facing smaller opponents.

Henderson landed more significant strikes, which is all that matters. Who cares if a fighter pats you on the face, because thats the only way Frankie out struck Bendo. Also, that drop down in the 4th round I believe, Henderson was off balance so it wasn't really a knock down.

#11 · (Edited)
My bad, I'll make sure to do so in the future.

Frankie wins on points because he is flat out the better fighter, which he showed against Bendo again.
This doesn't make any sense. If you're the flat out better fighter, then go out there and finish your opponent. Go out there and make a statement. Either go out there and finish the guy, or completely and utterly dominate him from round to round.

Frankie did neither. He also should have lost the first BJ Penn fight via getting out boxed.

Cya Frankie, you won't be missed.

Edit @ Tram, the Maynard fights were only exciting because Gray was beating Frankie up all over the octagon in the first rounds of both fights. Take those rounds out and you have two pretty average fights.

I appreciate Frankies heart and determination, but I find his style tediously boring to watch. Dart around for a while, leap in, 1-2 combo, dart back out. Rinse and repeat for 5 rounds.

No thanks. Time to bring on the real exciting talent in the LW picture. Finishers against finishers.

Nate vs Bendo is going to be fireworks.

#10 ·
Also, the fact that Frank had, what, 3 fight of the year contending fights during this time kind of invalidates the "boring" argument. Sounds like it's written by a knock out hunter of a fan. It's entirely untrue that there aren't subtleties to this sport and that's a pretty ridiculous thing to even say Imo

Sent from my Nexus 7 using VerticalSports.Com App

#12 ·
The Maynard fights were fights of the year contenders because Frankie was doing flips and running around like he's got a bag over his head. Lets be real, those were fight of the years because Frankie took a massive beating, not because Frankie laid a whooping on Maynard. Sure he finished him in their last fight, but he was still getting rocked in that fight too, which makes those comebacks and that finish fight of the year candidates.

If Frankie doesn't take a whooping in a fight, you will never see his fights be fight of the year candidates.

#16 ·
Frankie is a joy to watch and has always put on great fights. It's a shame he got robbed, but it's a shame that MMA fans can't understand the beauty and art of a good technical performance.

#18 ·
Frankie and his team only have themselves to blame for any controversy last night.

They cried their way into a rematch and when push came to shove it turned out to be a typical Edgar fight. Where he had opportunities to move in and land more than his signature combinations (especially without hesitant Ben seemed going into the later rounds), he would quickly move out and instead leave an incredible amount of distance.

Was he afraid of Ben’s power? Was he not confident enough in his hands? It really doesn’t matter because either way they didn’t do enough to make a stamp on the fight or the score cards.

We hear “to be the champ you’ve got to beat the champ” so much, and heard it a ton after Edgar-Maynard 2. Well now that it’s their favorite NJ fighter on the other end of that, suddenly that statement doesn’t hold true.

#17 ·
I actually find Frankie extremely fun to watch, even though he beat my favourite fighter of all time twice (once... :D ), I really like his style. He mixes everything up, is fast, and lands often. His technique is beautiful to watch, some people just can't see it I guess.

So what if he doesn't finish every fight. Yes KO's and subs are extremely exciting, but that doesn't mean 5 round fights filled with technique and skill aren't.

Seems every fighters that goes to a decision a lot gets criticised for it and I really don't see why, especially when you take the level of competition into account.

Maynard has only ever been finished by Frankie (and Diaz on TUF I guess you could argue)

BJ has never been stopped at Lightweight. Hell, if Machida and Nick Diaz can't finish him...

Ben Henderson has also never been finished at lightweight (his one sub loss years ago was at a catchweight)

When facing such elite competition, finishes will be few and far between. Notice how none of the above finished Frankie either?

#19 ·
I can appreciate his technique and skill as a fighter, what I don't understand is why he limits it so much?

Why does he just settle for just the 1-2 combination and then immediately create a huge amount of distance by darting out of the way?

Why does Frankie never follow up with his combos and land more shots in the pocket? In my opinion, it's simply because he's happy to score points and go to decision.

His moments of technique and and skill with his hands are too far and few between. Follow up a little Frankie. Land your 1-2 combo and then land more, land a 5-6-7-8 punch combo. Put the pressure on, go for the finish or look to really beat your opponent up instead just scoring points here and there.

I appreciate your opinion and understand why you find him exciting, but I hope that you, and others can appreciate other folks opinion from the opposite end of the spectrum. I've already had one anon neg rep saying "retard" and expect plenty more to follow.

#20 ·
man what a hater. Frankie is awesome, i really love his style he mixes everything up so well, i think he has the best transitions in the game. Also last night when he kept ducking under bendos punches and going for the body, that was beautiful

BUT i am a bigger bendo fan, i thought he clearly won the 1st fight but i think edgar won the rematch (though i wouldnt call it a robbery it was still very close) but hey thats what happens when you leave close fights up to the judges and you arent the champ

still this article is BS, edgar is very fun to watch and i dont see the need for him to go downs, hes one of the best LWs ever, but a catch weight with aldo would be a fun fight, but thats the only fight i want to see him have at FW

#21 · (Edited)
People BOOOed that new champ, but when Frankie took the mic? The whole stadium went bananas cheering the GUY.

They all cheered him for being so boring!

Haters, nothing more. Frankie won even in his first fight, but the lame judges just wanted it the other way!

EDIT:

Also, if he is a SCORING fighter? Why didn't his opponents be better than him, and KO him OUT?

LAME article, because its just jealousy and hate!

#22 ·
How in the hell is Frankie a boring fighter? His first fight was Gray featured an astonishing come from behind 1st round, his 2nd fight was the same, and then he KO'd Gray, then he fights Benson, takes an upkick of hell and still manages to win the fight in some people's eyes...how is Frankie a boring fighter? The dude is dynamite, I love watching this dude fight.

#26 ·
In the OP's defence, even though I really don't agree with him or the article, if you find something boring, you're right. You can't help being bored by something, it just happens. Just like you don't choose your sense of humour or what music you like. Same as some people find Chael hilarious and some people find him...well...boring :D Some perspective is needed.

#27 ·
Seems the exact same people on here that hate GSP for his "boring decisions" love Frankie for his boring point fighting decisions with zero damage. At least when GSP took decisions, his opponents other than Hardy looked like lumpy pancakes.

I guess because Edgar gets beat the heck up in the process of his boring touch fighting decisions he's an amazing exciting rocky figure but GSP with his absolute dominance and technical brilliance gets hate.

Sometimes I think mma fans just mistake a guy getting himself beat up as exciting, regardless of how good he actually is. I call it the Rocky Hangover.

I agree with the article, never liked Frankie or his style, he needs to move to FW where others are just as fast and his power isn't quite so weak.

#30 ·
Definitely agree with this. The writer is taking the liberty of speaking for all mma fans. Find Frankie boring? Fine. But don't put words in the mma community's mouth.

#29 · (Edited)
I don't find Edgar boring, I just don't see him as a champion. He has the heart of a champion, but he leaves doubt in my mind at least. I won't speak for everyone else. I think that a championship bout shouldn't leave doubt in your mind most of the time. Most of his challengers, he just barely eeks a decision win against. Even when he finishes a guy like Maynard, it's because Maynard got tired from beating the champion up.

A champion should stand alone as the best. Junior Dos Santos, Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, Georges St. Pierre, Jose Aldo, and Dominick Cruz continue to show that they are the best in their division by definitively beating their opponents. It's not even about just winning on points, there isn't anything wrong with that. Georges St. Pierre a lot of the time wins decisions, but it's always a decisive decision win. Even though he doesn't finish his opponents, he leaves no question on who was the better fighter. Edgar wins or loses controversial decisions that leaves fans arguing for months and months on who was the better fighter and who should have won. He shows that he may or may not be just barely the better fighter. it almost gives me a head ache every time he fights because it leaves so many questions after the fight ends.

To be fair, it could be because the lightweight division is so stacked with talent to the point that no one is really above the rest. Still, it's refreshing for me at least to see a lightweight title fight that won't have Edgar in it. Maybe we'll see a definitive ending that we won't have to argue over for once.

I might get negative repped for this post, but I don't mean to insult Edgar. I don't think he's boring, and I'm stating this as my opinion alone. It's just how I see it and why I'm happy he's not the lightweight champion anymore. Take it for what it's worth.

Reactions: GrappleRetarded
#33 ·

Yeah Frankie's only had five FOTN awards one of which FOTY, but he's totally leaving the division in shame for "boring" people. His last boring fight was what 2 years ago with BJ Penn II, I know some people feel like his a whiner but if you had to deal with BS like this whinging and moaning is a better option than choking and punching.

#34 ·
I actually agree with the thread post... Im sorry, I just dont find Edgar's fights entertaining.

Frankie is like the Floyd Mayweather Jr of mma (which I think is a huge complement) ... but I will never buy a Frankie Edgar nor a Floyd PPV... it just bores me to tears to watch hoping/praying something 'exciting' will happen.

Dont get me wrong, Ive got no problem watching the match after the fact...being able to fast-forward... but for the live event, forget it!

I'll blow my ppv dollars on the Pacman or JDS, JJones, ASilva, JAldo...and even Renan... but I cant justify spending 60 bucks on an event that is 99% likely going to end in an decision.

His dart-in-out style makes me want to claw my eyes out... when I have all my buds over to watch an event they could give a crap about his 'elusive-ness'... so yeah, maybe I cant appreciate the mma 'finesse' he brings to the table... Ive only been watching mma since since UFC 1.

Edgar's style reminds me of the exact reason I stopped watching boxing... and it sadens me to think this might be the future of the sport.

btw, I think Edgar won

Lastly... I guess the PPV numbers will tell the tale

#35 ·
I completely agree with the article. I was ecstatic to see Bendo get his hand raised even though I scored the fight for Edgar. Why? Because Bendo is better for the LW division and the UFC. Edgar was ruining the LW division with his point fighting style. The good fights he had were only good because of all the drama he made by getting rocked a lot. Take away the first round of Edgar/Maynard II and it's pretty boring. The two Penn fights were unbearable and last night's fight was 'meh' at best. The first Bendo fight was amazing but that was because of Bendo looking for the finish.

His style wasn't only boring but it was also causing problems for the division. His style made every fight close and controversial. Because of that, we had to have 3 instant ******* rematches. The division has been jammed for years because of him and we missed out on many good fights because of that. Now we finally get to see consistent new contenders fight for the belt, rather than watch the champion fight 6 times against only 3 different people.

#38 ·
I didn't watch the fight last night so I can't comment on that, I am however glad Frankie lost. I'm so sick of seeing him fight in main events against the same people. Okay once against Penn, fine, Bj earned his rematch, but then a draw with gray which was interesting only because Frankie got hurt so badly. After that fight I had a lot of respect for Frankie Edgar. Then he stops Gray. Great finally we have a clear champ. I didn't have a dog in his fight with Henderson. But I scored it pretty clearly for Bendo and I lost all respect for Frankie when he whined his way into a rematch. I'm sorry but I'm sick of seeing a guy who is trying to win a decision keep bitching about decisions. He cries about the draw with Maynard, he cried about how he clearly beat Penn the first time, then he cried his way into another fight with bendo. Meanwhile the lightweight divison is at a stand still because we have to keep seeing rematchs. I hope Frankie just finally man's up and takes this loss. It may have been a robbery I don't know I haven't seen the fight, but for once I would like Frankie to just take a result and get back in the god damn gym. If he really is the best lightweight in the world, guess what he will be back in the challengers spot again. But for the love of god just take it like a man and get back in line.

Sent from my Desire HD using VerticalSports.Com App

#43 ·
True, but they aren't still fighting for the title over and over and over again. Bitching about the same thing. Maybe after the second time Frankie should have thought I don't know maybe to change it up a little. I can only hear the same thing so many times. I have a ton of respect for the guys heart and drive, but I can't listen to my best friend bitch a out the same thing that much.

Sent from my Desire HD using VerticalSports.Com App

#41 ·
Interesting article although one sided I do like his/her writing style. I had the same sentiments about Edgar of course after he beat Penn. The Maynard fight won me over cuz he does have heart. Reality is Edgar may try to finish, but simply doesn't have the power. That's my thinking.

Now GSP can finish, but he hasn't. Lombard could have finished Boetsh, but didn't and Melvin as well vs Cerrone. The latter three all have one thing in common; it's mental. GSP got knocked out already and probably made a personal vow to never allow that to happen again + GJ camp, Lombard had nerves and was "injured", and Melvin somehow finds a way to lose.

That's what makes JDS, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo and even JBJ unique because they come to finish in emphatic fashion. I equate it like the NBA spurs...they win championships, but are boring as hell with their fundamentals. Everybody wants to see ACTION.

I'd like to add Renen Barao on the list even though he just decisioned a game opponent. I believe he will take out DC.

PS: Although he is a points fighter he's certainly more exciting than some of the others. He's constantly moving and has to rely on that system to win. So it's not mental it's more or less his physical attributes. Chael might be strong, but he doesn't possess KO ability. So he grinds people to death usually.

PSS: Even though I voted for Bendo both times I also thought Edgar won last night. Go figure...

I think the OP's getting a lot of slack for posting up the article. It's just one opinion that some agree and others do not. Maybe if he wrote it I could understand, it was probably meant to open up a dialogue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.