MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Should he beat Mir, Cormier wants either JDS or Jones in UFC debut

View Single Post

Old 08-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Budhisten

Budhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF Material
Should he beat Mir, Cormier wants either JDS or Jones in UFC debut

Quote:
Unbeaten Strikeforce heavyweight Daniel Cormier isn’t necessarily looking past his next opponent, Frank Mir, but he definitely has designs on laying claim to UFC gold if he gets by Mir when the two meet in a few months. Cormier recently won the Strikeforce Grand Prix, taking out respected veterans like Jeff Monson, Antonio Silva, and Josh Barnett along the way.
Now, with the match-up with Mir serving as his final fight under the Strikeforce banner before heading over to the UFC, Cormier has made it clear he wants a crack at UFC gold with one more impressive win on his resume.

“I’ve been chuggin along and if I get through this fight that’s three Top 10 guys in a row. I should be in line for a belt. I should get a shot at either of those divisions,” said the 10-0 Cormier in an interview with MMA Fight Corner, hinting at the possibility of dropping down to light heavyweight depending on how friend/teammate Cain Velasquez fairs against UFC champ Junior dos Santos later this year. “Let’s see what happens. A lot of things are going to be in play. If I come over to the UFC as the number one contender and Cain’s the heavyweight champion, then I have some things to think about. But if somebody else is holding that belt, then yea, I’m gonna stay up at heavyweight.”

Though Cormier may not have a crystal ball, the 5’11” fighter also expressed his interest in potentially being paired against UFC light heavyweight title-holder Jon Jones assuming things fall into place for such a scenario to unfold.

“Standing across the cage from that guy would be great for me. I’d love to do at some point in my career,” admitted Cormier. “Even if I am maybe the heavyweight champion and there’s a chance to make a super-fight, we could figure something out him and I, because I would not back down from that opportunity.”

No date has been set for Cormier’s clash with Mir. Velasquez-Dos Santos are expected to meet in late December, while Jones defends his title against Dan Henderson in two weeks at UFC 151.
Source: FiveOuncesOfPain.com

MMAForum - Please follow, like and download our app!
Budhisten is offline   Reply With Quote