Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Randy Couture would come out of retirement to fight Steven Seagal

7K views 68 replies 42 participants last post by  DonRifle 
#1 ·

If you've ever watched old kung fu flicks, you're likely to have seen a couple of geriatric masters with white hair and poor eyesight putting on a martial arts clinic to defend their respective schools or traditions.

Could life imitate art?

Probably not, but it's still fun to speculate what would happen if Steven Seagal finally shed his shroud of secrecy and stepped inside a cage (or ring) to put his money where his mouth is.

And Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Hall-of-Famer Randy Couture would be waiting to greet him, according to comments from the Expendables 2 movie star on G4TV’s Attack of the Show (via MMA Weekly).

"No, I think everything I set out to do, I managed to pull off, and it has been an amazing journey for 15 years. Not unless (Steven) Seagal wants to sign up."

"The Natural" was forced to retire after one of Seagal's students, Lyoto Machida, sent his incisors into the upper deck of the Rogers Centre last year in Toronto. And what better way to exact revenge on "The Dragon" than by defeating his master?

The storyline practically writes itself.
MMAmania

Ok, so is this article completely 100% serious and likely to actually occur? No. But MMA news has been slow today so.... I'm sure it'll be a fun discussion about what would happen if it did anyways :laugh:

I'd love to see this, it'd be absolutely amazing.

#57 ·
I think Randy is mad about how he got his face kicked off. Seagal has his henchman to take care of.

MMA rules Couture wins probably 10/10. No holds barred I'd say Seagal can take it four out of 10 at the least. Remember he'll eye guauge, karate chop you in the neck, kick you in the balls, torque your joints and wrists.

Hahah...wonder why everyone always calls out Steven.

#61 ·
Here's the full story from MMAFighting.com

I'll preface this by saying that I've never been one to get into the whole weird, ongoing preoccupation with Steven Seagal that the sport of mixed martial arts seems to have going for it. But sometimes, in situations like this, it's hard to ignore.

Back in August, UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture made a half-joking comment about how the only person he would come out of retirement to fight would be Seagal. People chuckled and forgot about it, and a couple months passed until Seagal was able to offer a response, which he just so happened to do on yesterday's edition of The MMA Hour.

"First of all, I am a martial artist, and I have been a martial artist all my life," Seagal started. "I've been fighting all my life, and I believe that the essence of learning how to fight, and fighting, and being a warrior and martial artist is to try to overcome the negative qualities that we all inherent as people, and become a better person, and to help others and help the world be a better place."

"That being said," he continued. "I really have to kind of wonder what his intentions and motivations may have been in saying that. I always thought that Randy was my friend and a gentleman. I'm kind of confused as to why he would say that. All I can say is, I'm here. Anybody can find me anytime and anyplace. If Randy really wants to fight me, he can fight me anytime he wants. It'll be for free, and it'll be some place where there are no witnesses."

Seagal went to emphasize the "no witnesses" aspect of his challenge a few more times, before being asked if the proposed fight would be held under MMA rules.

"Oh no, I don't play by rules," he responded. "That's not how I fight.

"I'm a man of honor. I'm a gentleman, but I am a warrior. And if he needs to find me, he knows where to find me."

Folks, sometimes this stuff just writes itself. Now quickly, let's get to some headlines before I succumb to the low-hanging fruit Seagal just delivered to our doorstep.

#62 ·
i would loooooove to see seagal fight van damme or chuck norris

randy though lol he would still beat alot of current fighters

bit of a bully move pickin on a old man. wonder if he was %100 joking or has a problem with seagal

im lovin seagals reply btw

#64 ·
TBH alot of MMA fighters surprisingly come off as sht talkers. I expected them to be more respectful and less highschool.

I understand people online talking crap about Seagal. Thats what people online do anyway.
But Randy and other fighters are Mixed Martial Artists. Many of them have probably met Steven Seagal and acted friendly in front of him. So far iv not seen Seagal bad mouth anyone. He has nothing but respect for MMA and the UFC. He has taken an active role in helping Anderson and the camp (Whether he actually helps or not i have no clue). I mean really the guy has been nothing but a gentleman to the whole MMA community.
Yet MMA fighters are constantly making fun of him. Which wouldnt be so bad but they are making fun of a man in a publicly manner who has done nothing but show respect to everyone.

Now i dont really find it a big deal or anything but i just cant help but think its a bit immature. Especially since the person they are mocking is 60 years old. And mixed martial arts is supposed to be about respect.
And im not talking about Randy specifically here. Over the last year iv seen quiet a bit of fighters make comments here and there.

#65 ·
It was a while back now, that Randy Couture joked that the only way he would come out of retirement is if the UFC were to offer him a fight with Steven Seagal.

Clearly, Seagal didn’t take Randy Couture’s remarks as that of a joking manner, as he told the following to Ariel Helwani of the MMA Hour:

“I always thought that Randy was my friend and a gentleman. I’m kind of confused as to why he would say that,” Seagal said on the show. “All I can say is, I’m here. Anybody can find me anytime and anyplace. If Randy really wants to fight me, he can fight me anytime he wants. It’ll be for free, and it’ll be some place where there are no witnesses.” When asked if this hypothetical match would take place under MMA rules, Seagal told Ariel Helwani, “I don’t play by rules. That’s not how I fight.”

So the folks at MMA.TV decided to give “Captain America” a call to see what type of reaction he would have to the Seagal remarks:

“I’m the one that started the joke as an off-handed comment I made to Jay Glazer — that I’d only come out of retirement if it were to fight Seagal. Obviously now somebody has talked to him about it and it has gotten some legs,” Couture chuckled to MMA.TV over the phone today.

“I’m not surprised that he wants to do it in private, remote location where nobody could see it happen. Obviously I intended it as a joke. I don’t think it would really happen.”

Couture is clearly bemused by the actor’s ominous-sounding statements. Asked if he was intimidated by Seagal’s claim that the fight would be truly no holds barred, Couture neatly replied, “I don’t think that changes the nature of the fight at all.”

So it’s safe to say that Couture is not going to take Seagal up on his battle-to-the-death challenge, then, right? “Hey, it could happen organically I suppose,” Couture ended, simply.

http://www.bjpenn.com/touch/single....’s+no+holds+barred+challenge+|+MMA+News

#66 ·
Master Seagal's hands and feet are registered as deadly weapons, true story, so I can see Randy was just joking, he taught Anderson the hell knee he used on Chael and he's currently teaching Machida 'deadly stuff' in order to crush Dan Henderson.

Machida will KO him with a karate chop, guaranteed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.